Work to remove asbestos from 37 schools in Caerphilly County Borough is progressing well, according to the council.
In July last year, Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Cabinet approved an £800,000 project to remove amosite asbestos from school buildings.
The move followed the temporary closure of Cwmcarn High School in October 2012 after asbestos was discovered there by contractors.
To date, removal projects have been completed at ten schools including Bedwas Junior School, Cefn Fforest Primary, Fleur de Lys Primary, Fochriw Primary, Hendre Infants, Hendredenny Park Primary, St Cenydd School, St Martin’s School, Ystrad Mynach Primary and Deri Primary.
Work is currently underway at Cefn Fforest Primary, Graig y Rhacca Primary, Libanus Primary, Pontllanfraith Comprehensive, St Martin’s School and Llancaeach Junior School.
Once completed the programme of works will see 95% of Caerphilly County Borough schools free from amosite asbestos products within occupied school buildings. The remaining 5% of schools where asbestos cannot be safely removed will have the materials boarded-over and sealed.
The council has said it is on target to complete the removal programme across all 37 schools by December 2016.