Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Wales to move into Alert Level Two from Boxing Day

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 12:39, Wednesday December 22nd, 2021.
Last updated: 19:04, Wednesday October 18th, 2023
First Minister Mark Drakeford during a Welsh Government coronavirus press conference
First Minister Mark Drakeford during a Welsh Government coronavirus press conference

Wales is set to move into Alert Level Two as new Covid restrictions are introduced from 6am on Boxing Day, the Welsh Government has announced.

Restrictions will come into place in hospitality settings, such as pubs, cinemas and theatres.

Alert Level Two restrictions will mean:

  • Two-metre social distancing in all premises open to the public and workplaces, where reasonable.
  • The rule of six will apply to gatherings in regulated premises, such as hospitality, cinemas and theatres.
  • All licensed premises will need to take additional measures to protect customers and staff, including table service and collecting contact details.
  • Face coverings will be required in hospitality settings at all times apart from when seated.
  • Large events will not be allowed indoors or outdoors. The maximum number of people who can gather at an indoor event will be 30 and 50 outdoors.
  • There will be an exception for team sports, where up to 50 spectators will be able to gather, in addition to those taking part. There is also an exception for events involving children.
  • Last week new measures were announced for workplaces and retail – these will now come into force on Boxing Day.
  • Nightclubs will also close on Boxing Day.

Businesses affected by the measures will be able to access a share of £120m, with Economy Minister Vaughan Gething set to announced further details on Thursday, December 23.

The Welsh Government has said it will not be making new rules about mixing at private homes, gardens, holiday accommodation or outdoors, but will be issuing guidance to “help people stay safe”.

It has advised people to limit the number of people visiting their home, and to encourage visitors to take lateral flow tests before the visit.

It has also advised people to meet outdoors where possible, and to keep indoor spaces well ventilated.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


First Minister Mark Drakeford described the Omicron situation in Wales as “very serious” and warned it could infect “large numbers of people in Wales” and increase the number of people needing hospital care in the coming weeks.

He said: “We will do everything we can to protect people’s health and livelihoods in Wales – this means taking early action to try and control its spread.

“We are changing the rules for businesses and some public spaces, where lots of different people mix daily and issuing strong and clear advice to help people stay safe in their own private homes and when meeting others.”

He urged people to take up their offer of a booster vaccine and said: “As we enter our second winter of the pandemic, we have high vaccination coverage and tens of thousands of extra boosters are being given every day.

“We also have access to the rapid lateral flow tests to help us all identify signs of infection without symptoms.

“Both of these, together with everything we have learned over the last two years, will help to keep us safe at home without the need for new rules and regulations about mixing at home.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.