Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Delyth Jewell MS: “It’s time we bring in greater restrictions on the sale of fireworks”

Opinion | Delyth Jewell | Published: 10:33, Friday October 6th, 2023.
Last updated: 10:33, Friday October 6th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Delyth Jewell, who represents South Wales East
Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Delyth Jewell, who represents South Wales East

Delyth Jewell, who is the deputy leader of Plaid Cymru, is one of four regional Senedd Members serving the South Wales East region.

In the Senedd this week, I called for tighter controls on the sale of fireworks after hearing about a horrible incident that took place last Sunday at a park in Hengoed, which has resulted in two young boys being badly injured.

I was so sorry to hear about what happened to those poor boys, and I hope that both they and their families will be OK.

It feels like, every year, we hear about similar terrible accidents happening with fireworks (and it’s always even worse when it involves children), which is why I raised the issue in the chamber of the Senedd with the Welsh Government.

Like many, I feel that it’s time that we bring in greater restrictions on the sale of fireworks. I love going to see the fireworks at the castle, and I think that professional fireworks displays can be beautiful and bring joy to lots of people. But for as long as they’re on sale so readily, I fear that we’ll keep hearing about horrible accidents happening where people get maimed or suffer life-changing injuries. I just think that fireworks are one of those things best left to professionals, so that we can all enjoy their stunning displays safely.

It’s a shame Wales doesn’t have the powers to bring forward these further restrictions, as the powers lie in Westminster. I would like ministers in London, in consultation with emergency services, to bring forward proposals on how we can protect children from fireworks, and I think the only sensible way of doing this will be to restrict their sale to professional companies.

Because I don’t want to see any more children’s lives being changed forever by accidents that could so easily be prevented from happening. My heart goes out to the little boys from Hengoed who were hurt last week, and their families.

The Welsh Government’s minister Lesley Griffiths said she was sorry to hear about the incident, and agreed that most years we do hear about very similar events happening. She said she would find out if there are discussions happening between the Welsh Government and the UK Government in London. Bonfire night is still a month away, and I hope that those conversations can be held urgently.

As well as this, I led a Plaid Cymru debate this week in the Senedd about the state of local bus services and I called on the Welsh Government to provide support so we can get the service we all deserve. If this is something that’s affected you, you’re welcome to get in touch with me: my email address is Delyth.Jewell@Senedd.Wales

Over the weekend I’ll be giving my first speech as deputy Senedd leader in Plaid Cymru’s annual conference in Aberystwyth. My theme will be the need for hope after the dark days of Covid, as well as the impact that’s being felt by all of us by the increasing cost of living and the climate crisis. As always, if there’s anything I can do to help with anything you’re going through, please get in touch.

Delyth Jewell MS speaking in the Senedd on October 3

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Plaid Cymru

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.