Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Social justice minister outlines plans to make Wales an anti-racist country by 2030

News | Chris Haines - ICNN Senedd Reporter | Published: 16:41, Monday December 4th, 2023.
Last updated: 16:41, Monday December 4th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Jane Hutt, the Welsh Government's Minister for Social Justice
Jane Hutt, the Welsh Government’s Minister for Social Justice

MSs took evidence from the social justice minister about plans to make Wales an anti-racist country by 2030.

Jane Hutt told the equality committee that inequality during the pandemic led to a clearer commitment on tackling systemic, institutional racism in Wales.

The social justice minister argued the anti-racist Wales action plan is a much bolder vision, which addresses every aspect of life, compared with the previous equality strategy.

Ms Hutt raised the importance of putting people with lived experience at the forefront of a governance structure that includes “formidable” external accountability.

Pressed about funding pressures by Jenny Rathbone, who chairs the committee, she told MSs the cross-government plan is budgeted for and remains a priority for ministers.

“I’ve done everything I can to protect funding within the social justice budget,” she said.

Plans to create an ‘anti-racist’ Wales by 2030 at risk, Senedd Members hear

Culture change

Ms Hutt argued many of the plan’s actions are rooted in culture change rather than funding but she stressed that ministers must deliver on the plan despite financial constraints.

Sioned Williams, for Plaid Cymru, asked about the children’s commissioner’s report on experiences of racism in secondary schools, which was published last week.

Ms Hutt told committee members that ministers will consider the recommendations.

Agreeing that education is fundamental to achieving the vision, she said all initial teacher education programmes in Wales are now required to be anti-racist.

She pointed to professional learning, which has reached 20,000 teachers, and bursaries for ethnic minority student teachers.

Ms Hutt also highlighted that black history is part of the new curriculum, adding that refreshed anti-bullying guidance for schools will be published in the new year.

“Things are changing,” she said. “But it is going to take time.”

Children as young as three involved in racism, Senedd Members told

‘Unrealistic’ 

Labour’s Ken Skates raised comments from Swansea Council which questioned how much thought went into the plan and setting realistic timeframes.

Ms Hutt said: “It is absolutely important that we hear all of that feedback.”

Mr Skates highlighted concerns about a lack of progress on actions relating to the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller community.

Ms Hutt told MSs that strides are being made on some commitments but she criticised councils’ slow progress in terms of providing sites.

Altaf Hussain, for the Conservatives, highlighted that the 2022-23 progress report on the plan was published on Friday.

The South Wales West MS raised an Equality and Human Rights Commission report which found black or mixed ethnic people were more likely to experience sexual assault. 

Sarah Murphy, a Labour backbencher, asked about action to make private landlords aware of the plan and tackle the discrimination faced by migrants when trying to rent a home.

Ms Hutt highlighted her written evidence, saying Rent Smart Wales ran an awareness campaign centred on hate crime and discrimination during black history month.

Discrimination

Ms Murphy also asked about South Wales and Gwent Police using live facial recognition technology, raising concerns about potential discrimination.

She said the technology was deployed in Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Pontypridd town centres for the first time last week, “with no prior warning given to anybody”.

Ms Hutt told MSs she would write to the committee about the issue following the evidence session on Monday December 4.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Welsh Government

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.