Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Decision to cut leisure centre opening hours is ‘not democracy’

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 16:13, Thursday May 29th, 2025.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Cefn Fforest Leisure Centre

Caerphilly County Borough Council is “acting like a dictatorship” by preventing further talks on the future of Cefn Fforest Leisure Centre.

The allegation, by independent group leader Cllr Nigel Dix, comes after cabinet members agreed to slash the centre’s opening hours.

Described by another critic as a “Pyrrhic victory” for campaigners, the centre had faced closure but those plans were amended at the last minute, following a public backlash.

But the new plan – for opening hours from 4pm to 8pm on weekdays, and four hours each on Saturdays and Sundays – has proved unpopular with many leisure centre users, councillors say.

“A cohort of people is now excluded on weekdays – it is de facto forcing schoolkids out of Cefn Fforest,” said Cllr Dix.

Cllr Nigel Dix, Independent councillor for the Blackwood ward
Cllr Nigel Dix, Independent councillor for the Blackwood ward

The council has offered no evidence to support the new opening hours, and has rejected an attempt to call in the decision, he added.

Cllr Dix accused the local authority of trying to close the leisure centre “by stealth” and said the monitoring officer’s claim there had been “substantial consultation” on the decision was incorrect.

“There was no debate and there has been no debate on the hours,” said Cllr Dix, who represents the neighbouring Blackwood ward. “They’ve just decided these hours, that’s not democracy.”

On the cabinet’s decision to switch to reduced hours, just two days after councillors had rebelled against the closure plan, he added: “It’s pretty impossible to do any meaningful consultation in 24 hours.”

Decision to axe ten libraries branded ‘devastating’

“I’m asking for the evidence of how they came to that conclusion,” he said. “What was the deciding factor? Who did they discuss it with? They’ve not given me any info. They have disenfranchised ward members, making it more difficult to call in decisions.”

The council has stood by its decision to refuse Cllr Dix’s call-in request, which would have given a scrutiny committee a chance to discuss the reduced opening hours.

“The council’s constitution clearly states that ‘a decision on a report which has already been the subject of pre-decision scrutiny cannot be called in’, which is the case with this recent cabinet decision.” a council spokesperson said. 

“The proposal to close Cefn Fforest Leisure Centre was also subject to a significant consultation, allowing all interested parties to provide feedback. 

“Whilst the reduction in opening hours was not specifically consulted upon, the public response was overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the leisure centre open. 

“Therefore, the cabinet decision reflects this feedback, offering a compromise position allowing the centre to remain open, while delivering financial savings.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
CCBC

Latest News

  • ‘Shock’ over scale of payout to council’s former chief executiveThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Mair Arthur, the landlady of the White Cross Inn, measuring the depth of a pothole in Groeswen Lane
    Extra road resurfacing pledge after pothole patch-ups branded ‘a waste of time’Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Fresh concerns over reduced hours at leisure centreThursday, May 21, 2026
  • CAERPHILLY: Council set to hand over bowling greens to two community clubs
    Council set to hand over bowling greens to two community clubsThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Ty Hywel is located behind the Senedd
    Senedd Commission to decide future of Ty Hywel office buildingThursday, May 21, 2026
  • Caerphilly Runners invites beginners to join free Sofa to 5k sessionsThursday, May 21, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.