Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Taxpayers hit with £5.25m bill for botched power station contract

News | Chris Haines - ICNN Senedd Reporter | Published: 13:37, Wednesday June 4th, 2025.
Last updated: 14:12, Friday August 8th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Mary Ann Brocklesby, chair of the Cardiff Capital Region
Mary Ann Brocklesby, chair of the Cardiff Capital Region

Taxpayers will foot the bill for a £5.25m settlement after a legal claim over the awarding of a demolition contract for Aberthaw power station, a committee heard.

The Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) lost a high-court legal challenge brought by a losing bidder, Brown and Mason Group, which concluded in February.

The former coal-powered station, near Barry, was acquired for £8m by the city region in 2022 as part of the £1.2bn city deal, with contractors Erith beginning demolition work last year.

Today, Mary Ann Brocklesby, who chairs CCR – made up of ten councils in south-east Wales – gave an update to the Senedd, telling the economy committee: “The amount of the settlement for the Aberthaw demolition procurement process… was £5.25m.

“I’m not able to say much more at this point because we are undergoing an independent review which we commissioned as political leaders to set in train precisely at the point that we knew we were going through a legal process.”

  • Explained: What is the Cardiff Capital Region?

‘Legal caveats’

Cllr Brocklesby, who leads Monmouthshire Council, said: “We had to wait until that legal process was over before that independent review could start. “We are awaiting the findings which – subject to legal caveats – we will be making public.”

Kellie Beirne, chief executive of the south-east Wales CJC and CCR, added: “We’re taking this extremely seriously, we recognise the gravity of it and again yes, [it’s] something that we don’t come and report.

Kellie Beirne, chief executive of the Cardiff Capital Region
Kellie Beirne, chief executive of the Cardiff Capital Region

“Apologies again for the short notice but we had clearance, we briefed our internal stakeholders and we felt it important to be as transparent as we possibly could by conveying that this morning at this committee.

“As Cllr Brocklesby has said, we have now commissioned a full independent review – emphasis on independent, that’s really important – we’ve stayed in lockstep with Audit Wales throughout this process.

“When that review concludes and we have findings, we’ll be able to be much more open about what happened and take steps to ensure that this can’t happen again.”

Asked whether the court case has impinged on work at the 500-acre site, Cllr Brocklesby insisted: “No, it continues at pace.”

Cardiff region city deal ‘on course to create 26,000 jobs’

‘Wider ecosystem’

Andrew RT Davies, the Conservative chair of the committee, said: “When you came before this committee in September 2023, Kellie you said that £40m is but a drop in the ocean.

“I think the words you used were hundreds of millions of pounds will be required. Obviously, this court case has not helped instill confidence in the private sector in coming on board as partners… so, how are you progressing in that goal?”

Cllr Brocklesby replied: “Let’s look at the wider ecosystem of CCR: one of the absolute strengths of it is that we have people across the region who are highly valued within their own sectors… who are highly respected not just in Wales but globally.”

She added: “In terms of the future of Aberthaw, it does actually look very bright and we’re not feeling any effects from the impacts of this highly regrettable procurement issue.”

Ms Beirne said the CCR does not have deep enough pockets for what Aberthaw requires following the initial demolition and remediation phase.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Senedd

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.