Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Former pub’s flats plan approved at second attempt

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 10:01, Thursday August 20th, 2026.
Last updated: 10:01, Thursday August 20th, 2026

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Former McDonnell pub, Bargoed, pictured in July 2025
Former McDonnell pub, Bargoed, pictured in July 2025

Seven flats can be built at a former pub in Bargoed, council planners have decided.

Applicant Ayyan Properties Ltd had seen an initial plan for the McDonnell pub turned down earlier this year, because it included a new takeaway planners said would have an “unacceptable impact” on residents.

The developer returned with an amended plan that removed the takeaway but retained the proposals for seven new homes above the building’s existing shop.

Four flats would be built on the first floor and a further three homes created in the loft space, according to the plans.

Flats plan revived at former pub but takeaway proposal dropped

A Caerphilly County Borough Council planning report shows four people objected to the amended plans during a public consultation period.

Their concerns focused on parking, waste, and worries an “increased number of people living in the area will place a strain on services and infrastructure”.

Council planners said the new application “seeks to overcome the issues” which caused the first bid to be refused, and in response to the objections raised, said the building’s previous use as a pub would have created a greater demand for parking than that produced by the seven flats.

They described the applicant’s waste storage plans as “appropriate”, and disagreed with the concerns about overdevelopment, “due to the relatively low number of residential units proposed”.

The planners also said objections claiming the building was listed were incorrect.

Planning permission was granted, subject to conditions.


Never miss an update

Join 1,500+ residents who get the borough’s top stories, local events, and updates sent to their inbox every weekday evening for free.


Google

Latest News

  • The A469 between Pontlottyn and Tirphil
    Frustrations over government support for £20m A469 road repairsThursday, August 20, 2026
  • GCSE Results Day: Pupils across borough receive their resultsThursday, August 20, 2026
  • Former McDonnell pub, Bargoed, pictured in July 2025
    Former pub’s flats plan approved at second attemptThursday, August 20, 2026
  • Councillor Kevin Etheridge, centre left, with Blackwood Deputy Town Mayor Jan Griffiths, centre right, and representatives from One Voice Wales
    Award for community efforts to save Blackwood ‘StuteWednesday, August 19, 2026
  • The Rudry Common fire seen from Crescent Road, Caerphilly, at 10.45pm on Tuesday
    Military stands down as wildfire operations continueWednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Rhian Bowen-Davies, Wales' older people's commissioner
    Welsh Government urged to create emergency cash fund as older people’s poverty risesWednesday, August 19, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Notice of application for a premises licence: PIN SIM GOLFSaturday, August 8, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, August 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, July 23, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, July 9, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.