Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Ombudsman to take no action over Caerphilly Council’s grave personalisation policy

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 09:09, Friday May 17th, 2013.
Last updated: 16:36, Monday May 20th, 2013

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales will not investigate a complaint against Caerphilly County Borough Council over personal items and tributes left on graves.

Last year, the council was accused of being insensitive over the way it handled ‘grave personalisation’, where items such as solar lights, wind chimes and fencing.

Families argued it was a way of paying tribute to their loved ones, but the council adopted its ‘lawn policy’ at cemeteries to ensure the appearance of graves were consistent and appropriate.

The council agreed to review the approach, but determined that the policy will continue to be applied in all council-run cemeteries.

Following an official complaint from a resident submitted to the Ombudsman, the Investigating Officer concluded that an investigation into the complaint would not proceed, and that the council had acted reasonably in implementing the decision to make changes to grave personalisation.

Cllr David Poole, Cabinet Member for Community and Leisure Services, said: “I fully understand that this is an extremely emotive issue for so many people, and we have sought to address the matter in a way which will not cause offence or distress.

“I do however feel it is important that we highlight the fact that the Ombudsman, in considering this complaint has determined that we, as a council, acted reasonably in taking this decision, and that we also gave residents the opportunity to raise any issues they had, both in the form of a public meeting and on an individual basis.

“We firmly believe that a cemetery should be a place of quiet reflection in well maintained, dignified surroundings.”

The council has said inspections will take place in cemeteries over the coming months and, if appropriate, letters will be sent to relatives respectfully asking them to remove any unauthorised items that have been identified.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • The former St John Ambulance hall, Pandy Road, Bedwas, pictured in May 2023
    Flats planned at former ambulance hallTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • How solar panels could look in the car park of the Grange University Hospital
    Plans to cover hospital car park with solar panels approvedMonday, February 16, 2026
  • From left: HSBC's Donagh Kelly; David Perez of the Development Bank of Wales; Spotnails' Craig Bates; and the Development Bank's Kabitah Begum
    Tools firm secures multi-million pound loan fundingMonday, February 16, 2026
  • CAMPAIGN: WASPI members outside Caerphilly Castle
    ‘Prompt and just compensation’ call for WASPI women hit by pension age changesMonday, February 16, 2026
  • Rugby round-up: All-borough clashes and heavy scorelines on Valentine’s DayMonday, February 16, 2026
  • An off-road bike which was seized by police for being ridden without insurance, tax or an MOT
    Legal off-road biking area could be createdMonday, February 16, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.