Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Governors and Caerphilly Council agree work for Cwmcarn High School asbestos removal works

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 13:23, Tuesday June 18th, 2013.
Last updated: 10:16, Thursday August 1st, 2013

Governors at Cwmcarn High School have agreed to allow Caerphilly County Borough Council to manage the emergency asbestos removal works at the site.

The Governing Body met on Monday after the council called for a swift resolution in order to get the works done in time for pupils and staff to return to Cwmcarn in September.

Cllr Rhianon Passmore, cabinet member for education, said: “I’m sure that the whole school community will be delighted that an agreement has been reached and works can finally proceed.

“However, time is against us and we need to act quickly to progress the asbestos removal and remediation works. We are aiming to get pupils back on site on 2nd September, but to do this we will need to provide temporary accommodation as a short term measure while works are completed within the school buildings.

“We now need to focus our efforts moving forward and ensure that pupils and staff can return to a safe learning environment, back in the heart of the community.”

Gary Thomas, Chair of Governors at Cwmcarn, said: “We look forward to working with the council to progress the scheme. I would like to thank everyone for their patience over the last few months while we worked hard to resolve this issue.”

The two parties had been in disagreement over the works with frustration expressed by both sides.

Cwmcarn High School was closed on October 12 last year after a report by Santia Asbestos Management Ltd asked Caerphilly Council to consider whether school buildings should be demolished because of widespread airborne asbestos. Since then, the school’s pupils have relocated to the former Coleg Gwent campus in Ebbw Vale.

But a report published by the Health and Safety Executive laboratory (HSL) has said the original findings by Santia may have been overstated.

In April councillors agreed to spend £700,000 on asbestos removal and £300,000 on temporary classrooms.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • An artist's impression of how the Lower Plas Court development could look
    Work underway on 58 new flats in town centreTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • The former St John Ambulance hall, Pandy Road, Bedwas, pictured in May 2023
    Flats planned at former ambulance hallTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.