Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Asbestos work begins at Cwmcarn High School

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 09:53, Monday July 1st, 2013.
Last updated: 14:59, Thursday July 18th, 2013

Work has started to remove asbestos at Cwmcarn High School with pupils expected to return for the start of the new school year in September.

Chair of Governors Gary Thomas said: “Local people will notice activity on the Cwmcarn site as contractors start removing asbestos from within the building. This is fantastic news and clearly shows that progress is being made following our agreement to work with the council to get the school back up and running at the start of September.”

Cllr Rhianon Passmore, CCBC Cabinet Member for Education said, “We said we would act swiftly to resolve this issue once a decision was made and I am delighted that there are clear signs of progress.

“There is a lot to be done in a short space of time, but we are working closely with the school leadership and we are confident that works will be completed on time and on budget.”

The council and the governors had been in disagreement over the works, with frustration expressed by both sides, but an agreement was reached on Monday June 17.

Cwmcarn High School was closed on October 12 last year after a report by Santia Asbestos Management Ltd asked Caerphilly Council to consider whether school buildings should be demolished because of widespread airborne asbestos. Since then, the school’s pupils have relocated to the former Coleg Gwent campus in Ebbw Vale.

But a report published by the Health and Safety Executive laboratory (HSL) has said the original findings by Santia may have been overstated.

In April councillors agreed to spend £700,000 on asbestos removal and £300,000 on temporary classrooms.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • An artist's impression of how the Lower Plas Court development could look
    Work underway on 58 new flats in town centreTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.