Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Firefighters return to work after first of two strikes

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 14:40, Saturday November 2nd, 2013.
Last updated: 14:43, Saturday November 2nd, 2013

Firefighters have returned to work after the first of two strikes in row over pensions.

Members of the Fire Brigades Union walked out between 6.30pm and 11pm on Friday and will do so again on Monday November 4 between 6am and 8am.

Under plans by the UK Government, firefighters in England will get their full pension at 60. Changes to pensions in Wales have not yet been finalised. Those retiring early, the FBU argue, would lose thousands of pounds.

Assistant Chief Fire Officer Rod Hammerton said he was pleased with how South Wales Fire and Rescue Service had managed its services during the strike action.

“As expected, the number of Firefighters from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service who chose to strike was high, which resulted in a large reduction in the resources that we had at our disposal. As such, we were unable to provide the same high level of response to incidents as we normally would and as a consequence prioritised our response to those in most critical need.

“The arrangements we put in place to provide a service during strike action worked well. Our robust and well rehearsed business continuity arrangements were put into operation effectively and as soon as the strike period came to an end we were able to ensure a quick and safe return to normal services.”

FBU General Secretary Matt Wrack said, “Firefighters have once again shown their determination to defend their pension rights and to campaign for a pension which reflects the job they do.

“We hope government will now sit down and negotiate a settlement to this dispute.

“So far Ministers have completely ignored the evidence in front of them. We hope this action will finally open their eyes.”

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.