Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Wayne Pivac unveiled as new Wales head coach

Sport | Gareth Axenderrie | Published: 16:13, Monday July 9th, 2018.

Wayne Pivac led the Scarlets to an impressive Pro12 championship in 2017. Image from WRU

The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) has announced that Scarlets boss Wayne Pivac will become Wales’ new head coach following next year’s Rugby World Cup.

Pivac, 55, will take over from fellow New Zealander Warren Gatland, who will step down after nearly twelve years in charge of the national side.

The current Scarlets head coach has previous international experience from his time coaching Fiji prior to signing with the West Wales region in 2014.

Since then he has led the Scarlets to regional success, with a Guinness Pro 12 championship title in 2017 followed by a European Champions Cup semi-final appearance last season.

Pivac has won plaudits during his time at Parc y Scarlets for the expansive and exciting style the Llanelli based region have played.

The appointment is the result of a two year recruitment process undertaken by WRU chief executive Martyn Phillips and chairman Gareth Davies. It is believed Glasgow Warriors head coach Dave Rennie was also a front-runner for the position, but that Pivac became the preferred option following two successful seasons where his Scarlets team has outshone Rennie’s Glasgow.

Phillips said: “In Wayne Pivac, we have secured the best man for the job and we have done so rigorously and decisively to the collective benefit of all involved in Welsh rugby.”

“I am extremely grateful to the Scarlets for their support of this process and their chairman, Nigel Short, in particular who has been first class throughout.”

Pivac will become the 23rd man to lead the Welsh national side and the fourth New Zealander following his unveiling at the Principality Stadium. It isn’t believed that any Welshmen were in contention for the role after Wasps coach Dai Young and Gatland’s assistant Rob Howley both ruled themselves out last year.

Speaking at the event, Pivac said: “It’s both a huge honour and a privilege to have been asked to be the next Wales coach.”

He also acknowledged the work his predecessor has done, adding: “I know I’m following in the footsteps of someone who is held in extremely high regard. I will be doing my best to protect the legacy Warren Gatland will inevitably leave behind.

Following his appointment in 2007, Warren Gatland has gone on to become Wales’ longest serving coach. His tenure has included two Grand Slam victories, a further Six Nations Championship and a World Cup semi-final appearance. He has also led the British and Irish Lions to a victorious tour of Australia in 2013 and a draw with New Zealand in 2017.

Pivac will remain in his role as Scarlets head coach for the entirety of the 2018/19 season, before taking over from Gatland in November 2019 following the conclusion of the World Cup in Japan. His first matches in charge are likely to come during the 2020 Six Nations Championship.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • An artist's impression of how the Lower Plas Court development could look
    Work underway on 58 new flats in town centreTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.