Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

The Rock

Alternative Name: Y Graig
Morphology: y+craig
Phonetic: uh-grah-eeg

Described in 1901 as "a hamlet 1 mile north of Blackwood", maps from 1886 show that on the road from Blackwood to Argoed, the area originally simply called Rock included a Rock Foundry, Rock Cottage, Rock House and the Calvinistic Methodist Rock Chapel in the area. Oddly the Rock and Foundry Public House was not in the immediate area, being further away in Woodfieldside, this is due to it being the place where workers from the Rock Foundry stopped on their way home. In 1901, aside from the collieries and foundry, the only commercial premises listed for the area were a grocer, a wheelwright, a blacksmith and The Rock Inn, which is still there today.

Latest News

  • Drainage concerns over boundary embankment at 164-home siteFriday, August 21, 2026
  • An artist's impression of the Silver Street housing redevelopment
    Plans for 16 ‘much-needed’ affordable homes take step forwardFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Coronavirus vaccine
    Young people urged to get Meningitis B jab ahead of university startFriday, August 21, 2026
  • hospital stock image
    Record demand hits Welsh A&Es as summer heatwave drives emergency visitsThursday, August 20, 2026
  • Enterprise minister Adam Price, right, during a visit to Newtown-based REECO Automation Ltd
    Businesses can apply for tech grants of up to £250,000Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • The A469 between Pontlottyn and Tirphil
    Frustrations over government support for £20m A469 road repairsThursday, August 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Rosita’sFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: PIN SIM GOLFSaturday, August 8, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, August 6, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.