Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

NHS workers give a stark account of the reality of coronavirus pandemic

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 13:41, Friday April 10th, 2020.
Last updated: 13:45, Friday April 10th, 2020

Hospital staff have given a stark account of the horrors of coronavirus, with the number of confirmed cases in Gwent reaching 1,221.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast, intensive care consultant Dr Ami Jones talked about how the intensive care unit at the Royal Gwent Hospital was filled with “mainly young people”, many in their thirties or forties.

Dr Jones said there are people who “don’t appreciate how bad this virus is.

“It takes no prisoners. It’s very, very contagious and very easy to catch.

“Support us or the NHS may fail” – carers call for greater financial security

“It’s a lottery really – you may think you’re young, fit and well and it won’t affect you, but I’ve got young, fit and well patients in my ITU that are probably going to die, and you don’t know it’s not going to be you, so why are you taking the risk?

“Why aren’t you just doing the safest thing and staying at home?”

Dr Jones also said that half of patients in intensive care wouldn’t be able to be saved.

“They are dying with the nurses holding their hands.”

School donates science goggles to NHS

Due to the pandemic, the health board has banned nearly all hospital visitors , with coronavirus patients unable to see loved ones while in hospital.

Dr David Hepburn, a critical care consultant at the Royal Gwent, warned that if there isn’t a slowing down in the infection rate, “we are going to start running out of space, and that’s when very difficult decisions will have to be made. I hope to God I don’t have to do that, and it may happen. We’ve seen it happen in Italy.”

Speaking to Channel 4 News, Dr Hepburn described the critical care unit as “controlled chaos”.

Rugby club offers its support to NHS in coronavirus battle

He added: “The pattern of illness we’ve seen in Gwent is much younger patients than we were expecting. When the reports started coming out of Wuhan, we were led to believe this was something that was particularly dangerous for the more elderly patients, but I would say all the patients we’ve got in intensive care are in their 50s or younger.

Dr Hepburn urged people to listen to government advice and stay indoors.

He said: “If people get bored and they leave the house and the infection rate starts to spread, it will be like a wave and it will wash the hospital away – the fallout from that would be absolutely catastrophic and I can’t emphasise that enough.”

Dr Hepburn also warned that “we will see more healthcare workers will dying of this.”

Sarah Aitken, of Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, previously warned that Gwent was following the same pattern as Italy.

Latest information on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Most cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) seem to be mild.

Coronavirus is a viral disease that can cause coughing, fever and difficulty breathing. It can be more severe in older people, those with weakened immune systems and some long-term conditions like diabetes or cancer.

What to do if you have symptoms of coronavirus

Find out how you can reduce the risk of catching coronavirus

Source: Public Health Wales

[asp_product id=”984702″]

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.