Boxer Lauren Price has won gold at the European Olympic Boxing qualifiers in Paris.
Price, 26, from Ystrad Mynach, beat Russia’s Zenfira Magomedalieva via a unanimous points decision in the middleweight final on Tuesday, June 8.
En route to the final, Price, who is ranked world number one, beat the Republic of Ireland’s Aoife O’Rourke, as well as Ukraine’s Anastasiia Chernokolenko.
It was the win against Chernokolenko that secured Price’s place on the Team GB squad at this summer’s Olympic Games in Japan.
The Olympics will be held in Tokyo between July 23 and August 8.
So far, ten Team GB boxers have qualified for this year’s Olympics.
The qualification tournament was meant to be held in London in March 2020, but was called off due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Young tennis coach presented with national award
- Paedophile jailed for nine years after string of child sex offences
- Man suffers puncture wound in chest after forestry assault
- Price beaten in final as he returns to darts action after three months
- Support announced for businesses still affected by ongoing restrictions
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member – cancel anytime