Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

MS accuses council of lack of engagement with children’s centre at risk of nursery closure

News | Rhiannon James - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 15:40, Wednesday December 7th, 2022.
Last updated: 15:40, Wednesday December 7th, 2022

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Peredur Owen Griffiths at the Senedd on December 7, 2021
Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Peredur Owen Griffiths

A Plaid Cymru Senedd Member has accused Caerphilly County Borough Council of a lack of engagement with Caerphilly Children’s Centre, which is at risk of closing its nursery.

The council has disputed Peredur Owen Griffiths’ comments and has said it’s in “ongoing dialogue” with the centre.

The centre, in Energlyn, is run by Action for Children, alongside the council, Gwent Health Trust, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, and charity Enable. It has a specialist pre-school nursery that caters for children with disabilities, developmental delay, and additional needs.

According to Mr Owen Griffiths, who used to serve on Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn Community Council, the facility – which has been running for more than 30 years – needs a service level agreement from the council as it cannot apply for larger, long term grant funding without a financial commitment.

During business questions in the Senedd, South Wales East MS Mr Owen Griffiths said: “The centre has been requesting an agreement for the last five years. I have also heard that requests for a meeting on this matter have not been answered or acknowledged by the council in the last year.

“The situation is now critical and they face issuing redundancy notices to staff at the end of December unless something changes.”

A letter sent by the MS to the council on November 21 is still awaiting a reply, although it has been acknowledged.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Reserves held by Enable – a charity that supports the nursery – has been used for the funding shortfall but this money has “dwindled”. Mr Owen Griffiths has said that redundancy notices be issued by the end of the month ahead of the nursery’s closure early next year, without financial commitment from the council.

The MS asked Trefnydd Lesley Griffiths – the Minister who is responsible for organising government business in the Senedd: “Are you disappointed that party colleagues in power at Caerphilly are jeopardising the health and mental wellbeing of the most vulnerable with their lack of engagement and lack of financial commitment?”

Mrs Griffiths, MS for Wrexham, advised him to consult with the council.

Cllr Elaine Forehead, council cabinet member for social care

Cllr Elaine Forehead, the council’s cabinet member for social care, said: “The council is committed to supporting early years settings across the county borough and we have a long standing positive relationship with the providers at this facility.

“We dispute the comments made by the MS about a lack of engagement and commitment for the setting. We can confirm we are in ongoing dialogue with the providers and have agreed to meet in the New Year.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Senedd

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.