Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

76 homes given planning permission on greenfield site

News | Rhiannon James - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 09:56, Thursday April 13th, 2023.
Last updated: 09:56, Thursday April 13th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

A mixture of two-storey properties, bungalows and apartments could be built on land either side of Cwrt Neuadd Wen
A mixture of two-storey properties, bungalows and apartments could be built on land either side of Cwrt Neuadd Wen

Seventy-six homes are set to be built on a greenfield site in Aberbargoed after permission was granted by Caerphilly County Borough Council’s planning committee.

Newport-based Gwent Holdings is behind the outline planning application to build the homes on land either side of Cwrt Neuadd Wen, near Bedwellty Road.

A mixture of two-storey properties, bungalows and apartments are included in the plans, with further details to be agreed in a future reserved matter application.

At a planning committee meeting on Wednesday April 12, Labour councillor Shane Williams said he was “seriously concerned” about the development of a greenfield site.

The greenfield site was allocated for housing in the council’s Local Development Plan up to 2021 – but 7.2% of the proposed development falls outside of this.

Cllr Williams, who represents Cefn Fforest and Pengam, said: “It’s a concern for me that we are going outside the settlement boundary. Is there any way that development could be rained back a bit to be contained within the settlement boundary?”

Cllr Shane Williams, Labour councillor for the Cefn Fforest and Pengam ward
Cllr Shane Williams, Labour councillor for the Cefn Fforest and Pengam ward

Planning officer Elizabeth Rowley said the additional 7.2% of land was previously allocated to the Aberbargoed bypass, which is no longer happening, so the land had already been allocated for development.

Independent councillor Nigel Dix also raised concerns about the impact of the development on the environment.

Ms Rowley said: “It’s considered a small and logical rounding off of the settlement boundary and it was previously identified for development.”

Just over 100 homes are also being built nearby on the grounds of the former Bedwellty Comprehensive School.

FOR SALE: The playing fields at the former site of Bedwellty Comprehensive School
The former Bedwellty Comprehensive School, which was demolished in 2005

According to the council’s report, these developments mean an additional classroom will be needed in Aberbargoed Primary School to meet future demands.

One neighbour responded to the plans and said the developer should fund the extra classroom, rather than the taxpayer, before the homes are constructed.

Up to eight of the properties will be classed as affordable homes, as part of a proposed Section 106 contribution. The council’s housing enabling officer has requested these be one-bedroom flats for social rent.

Twenty-nine letters of representation were submitted to the council in relation to the plans. Residents raised concerns about additional traffic, loss of green space and flooding.

In relation to play areas and green space, the council’s report states: “There are currently no safe, accessible and formalised play area spaces for children within the Y Ffordd Wen estate.

“The proposed development will seek to provide multiple safe spaces and formalised play areas across the northern and southern development parcels and will meet Fields in Trust standards.”

Further details such as parking, materials, design and access will be determined at the reserved matters stage. A masterplan for the protection of trees is also expected in the reserved matters application.

The application was recommended for approval by officers, subject to the section 106 agreement. Councillors approved the plans with nine voting in favour, two against and one abstention.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.