Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Leisure centre could close for good without “significant investment”

News | Tom Hicks | Published: 15:39, Wednesday July 26th, 2023.
Last updated: 15:39, Wednesday July 26th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Campaigners fighting to stop the closure of Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre outside Cardiff Justice Centre

Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre has been closed without a guarantee it will reopen, after the council announced it needs “significant investment”.

Having been used as a Covid-19 vaccination centre for the past two years, the council’s agreement with the Aneurin Bevan University Health Board (ABUHB) has now come to an end.

The leisure centre and outdoor 3G pitch will now be shut during August so that the former comprehensive school next door can be demolished to make space for a new ‘vulnerable learners centre‘, as well as a sports hall and an indoor pitch.

Earlier this year, the council announced the vulnerable learners centre was to be “additional” and not a replacement for the existing leisure centre.

This has been thrown into jeopardy now however, after the latest Caerphilly County Borough Council statement said that without a “significant amount of work and investment” the site will remain closed.

Pontllanfraith leisure centre
Pontllanfraith leisure centre

Cllr Chris Morgan, cabinet member for leisure said: “The 3G pitch will reopen in September, but now that the health board have concluded their vaccination programme at the leisure centre, the future of the facility can be formally considered over the coming months as part of a mid-way review of our ten-year Sport and Active Recreation Strategy.

“This review will include all our facilities across the county borough to ensure we are providing modern, fit-for-purpose provision which meets the evolving needs of our communities, whilst remaining sustainable financially.

“The decision making process will include wide-ranging public consultation and engagement before any decision is made.”

Reacting to to the news, Labour councillor and long-time campaigner Shane Williams said: “It’s obviously extremely disappointing. They assured us that the centre next door would not affect the leisure centre remaining open.

“What our campaign has shown is that over 5,000 in the local area want this leisure centre to return to offering sports facilities that many clubs are in desperate need of. We implore the council to open it.”

Cllr Williams, who represents the Cefn Fforest and Pengam ward, went on to say that as a “last resort”, he has told the council to consider a community asset transfer, which would see the leisure centre run by volunteers.

He explained: “We think it should be explored if the council are determined not to open it. We know that this leisure centre is one of the cheapest and most used so it’s worth considering.”

The council has since insisted no decision has yet been made and the review will take place this autumn.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

LDRS

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.