Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Row over leisure centre demolition rages on as decision day draws closer

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 12:08, Wednesday February 14th, 2024.
Last updated: 12:08, Wednesday February 14th, 2024

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Cllr Shane Williams, Labour councillor for the Cefn Fforest and Pengam ward
Cllr Shane Williams, Labour councillor for the Cefn Fforest and Pengam ward

A councillor fighting to save Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre from demolition has challenged claims the site is not fit for purpose.

Caerphilly Council plans to close down the centre, which it said has a maintenance backlog of £475,000 and no longer contains gym equipment.

The 3G all-weather pitch outside the centre, which is popular among local sports teams, will also be ripped up because the council said it was reaching the end of its lifespan.

Labour councillor Shane Williams told a Caerphilly Council committee meeting on Tuesday February 13 that he disputed the local authority’s claims.

“I don’t think any of us has seen a breakdown of the £475,000,” he said.

According to a council report, Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre was closed at the beginning of the first Covid-19 lockdown in March 2020, and then served for nearly two years as a coronavirus vaccine centre, before that use ended in June 2023.

Pontllanfraith leisure centre
Pontllanfraith leisure centre

Cllr Williams suggested that “by it not reopening” since then, “effectively it’s already been closed”.

Leisure officers told the committee that repairing the centre’s sports hall floor would account for most of the six-figure maintenance backlog, but Cllr Williams argued the surface was “fit for purpose”.

He told the meeting there were other sports halls in nearby council areas in a worse condition than the one in Pontllanfraith.

The results of a public consultation showed nearly three in four respondents believed the closure would have a negative impact on them, including members of local sports teams who use the 3G pitch.

Hundreds against plan to close down leisure centre

Committee members Teresa Heron and Haydn Pritchard both flagged concerns about difficulties booking slots at other 3G pitches nearby.

Officers told the committee the council had “created additional capacity” by opening weekend bookings at Islwyn High School, and said a closure of Newbridge Leisure Centre’s 3G pitch was only short-term for an “upgrade”.

The council is building a new education facility, the Centre for Vulnerable Learners (CVL), next to Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre, and from spring 2025 that new centre’s all-weather pitch will be available for community bookings outside of school hours.

Cllr Williams said “we all know it’s half the size” of the current 3G pitch in Pontllanfraith and “not suitable” for many teams that needed larger areas for training or matches.

Leisure facilities manager Robert Hartshorn said councillors shouldn’t “ignore” that the pitch was “reaching the end of its life” and would need to be replaced.

Another officer acknowledged that the replacement pitch at the CVL wouldn’t be full sized, but explained that the “majority” of bookings the council received were for “half-pitches”.

The housing and environment scrutiny committee noted the results of the consultation, and Caerphilly Council’s cabinet is expected to make a final decision on the future of Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre in early April.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

LDRS
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.