Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Council sets out school merger plans which would end single-sex education

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 15:17, Wednesday September 4th, 2024.
Last updated: 15:18, Wednesday September 4th, 2024

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Lewis School Pengam

Two single-sex schools lined up for a merger will continue to receive the same amount of funding while transition arrangements are phased in.

Caerphilly County Borough Council is planning to eventually close down Lewis Girls’ School, in Ystrad Mynach, and transfer pupils to Lewis School Pengam, which is currently boys-only.

The proposal follows years of preparatory work by a special board, and has also won the approval of Wales’ school inspection agency Estyn.

But a recent consultation with pupils, parents and staff found roughly equal levels of support and opposition for the changes.

If the plans go ahead, it will mean the end of single-sex council-run secondary education in the county borough and in Wales.

At a meeting on Tuesday September 3, the council’s education committee sought clarity on the transition plan, should the proposals go ahead.

Andrea West, the council’s Sustainable Communities for Learning service manager, said the transition for pupils in Years 7 to 11 – expected to begin in 12 months’ time – would likely take two years.

In September 2025, all Year 7 and 8 pupils will be taught at the Lewis Girls School site, all Year 9 and 10 pupils will go to the Lewis School Pengam site, and students in Year 11 will remain at their respective schools to minimise exam disruption.

Lewis Girls School, in Ystrad Mynach
Lewis Girls School, in Ystrad Mynach

Then, in September 2026, all Year 7 and 8 pupils will be based at the Lewis Girls School site, while all older pupils in Years 9 to 11 will be taught at Lewis School Pengam.

The final phase, in September 2027, will transfer all pupils in Years 7 to 11 to Lewis School Pengam.

Sixth-formers will not be affected by the plans until September 2027, when they will all move to the Lewis School Pengam site.

At the meeting, Cllr Colin Gordon sought assurances about the “financial impact” of the transition period.

Sue Richards, the council’s head of education planning, told the committee the formula for funding “would stay the same” while the schools reorganised.

Cllr Brenda Miles, chairing the committee, asked about the future of the Sue Noake Leisure Centre, which shares the same site as Lewis Girls School.

Sue Noake Leisure Centre, Ystrad Mynach
Sue Noake Leisure Centre, Ystrad Mynach

The council said previously the future of the leisure centre will not be affected by the proposal to eventually close the girls’ school site.

Cllr Miles asked whether the leisure centre – which is currently closed to the public during school hours – could be opened up for daytime community use once the school shuts down in 2027.

Ms Richards said as the school will become “surplus to requirements of education”, a decision on expanding the hours at the Sue Noake Leisure Centre would “not be within the remit of [the] education” department.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
Google
Google

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.