Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Charity wins £30k ‘Stute contract as decisions loom over venue’s future

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 15:18, Monday March 17th, 2025.
Last updated: 15:18, Monday March 17th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

From left to right: Caerphilly County Borough Council leader Sean Morgan; Antony Bolter, the council’s visitor economy and destinations manager; culture minister Jack Sargeant; Newport West and Islwyn MP Ruth Jones; council deputy leader Jamie Pritchard; Islwyn MS Rhianon Passmore; council arts development officer Dr Bethan Ryland; and Nicolas Young, acting theatre manager

A charity which runs several arts venues has been awarded a contract worth almost £30,000 to look at how Blackwood Miners’ Institute could be run in the future.

Awen Cultural Trust, which is based in Brynmenyn, near Bridgend, will conduct a ‘feasibility study’ for Caerphilly County Borough Council and report back to officers by the end of May this year.

It currently runs the Grand Pavilion in Porthcawl, as well as several libraries and community centres in the Bridgend area.

Money for the £28,350 contract is coming out of £210,000 given to the council from the Welsh Government, which will keep the ‘Stute open until at least March next year.

According to the award notice published online, the trust’s work will cover how the council can move the governance of the ‘Stute from itself to an independent trust model, which could include setting up a separate company limited by guarantee (no shareholders).

Blackwood Miners' Institute could be mothballed
Blackwood Miners’ Institute

The charity will also look at the venue’s existing business model and examine alternatives.

The ultimate aim is to reduce the amount of public subsidy the council currently gives to keep the doors of the grade II* listed building open.

Caerphilly Council runs the ‘Stute via a registered charity and is its sole corporate trustee.

Last year, against a backdrop of budgetary pressures amounting to £45 million, the local authority proposed to ‘mothball’ the building to save £330,000 it spends subsidising its running costs.

Public opposition to the plan erupted and in December the council made a successful £210,000 funding bid to the Welsh Government, via the Arts Council of Wales’ Resilience Fund – effectively buying it time to work out its future.

There were also conflict of interest questions around whether the council, as the ‘Stute charity’s sole trustee, could close the venue by pulling funding.

‘Blackwood’s heritage saved’ as council abandons Miners’ Institute mothball plan

Llancaiach Fawr and the Winding House museums were not so fortunate with the two sites now ‘mothballed’. The council is hoping to find a private sector operator for Llancaiach Fawr.

Visiting the ‘Stute recently, Wales’ culture minister, Jack Sargeant, said: “Though I recognise the challenges faced by our museums, theatres and cultural spaces, this funding provides a real opportunity to move towards a more secure, sustainable footing.”

He added: “We remain steadfast in our commitment to ensuring cultural institutions like the Institute can continue to thrive and serve their communities.”

Dr Bethan Ryland, arts development officer for Caerphilly County Borough Council and Blackwood Miners’ Institute, said: “The funding has been a vital support for Blackwood Miners, benefiting both the staff and the wider community.

“Arts and culture play a crucial role in enhancing people’s lives and wellbeing and Blackwood Miners’ Institute serves as a historic cultural hub, making a significant impact.

“Continued investment is essential for ensuring the growth and sustainability of arts and culture for future generations.”

PR an “insult to the community”

A Welsh Government press release and photograph, from which the quotes of Jack Sargeant and Dr Bethan Ryland were taken from for this article, has been criticised by local opposition councillors.

Councillors Janine Reed (Ind, Ynysddu), Kevin Etheridge (Ind, Blackwood), Andrew Farina-Childs (Ind, Blackwood), Nigel Dix (Ind, Blackwood), Jan Jones (Ind, Ynyddu), Bob Owen (Ind, Risca West), George Etheridge (Ind, Blackwood Town Council), Rhys Mills (Plaid Cymru, Blackwood Town Council), and Cathy Clark (Conservatives, Blackwood Town Council), have issued a joint statement decrying the fact that only Labour politicians were invited to the photoshoot at the ‘Stute.

A protest in September 2024 against the proposed mothballing of Blackwood Miners’ Institute

The award of £210,000 in funding, revealed in December last year, was publicised by the Welsh Government recently – a move that, the councillors claim, “reeks of political opportunism”.

They pointed out that others had been involved in the public campaign to save the ‘Stute such as Plaid Cymru Senedd Members and union Unison.

The statement read: “Labour politicians only posing for photos – says it all. The future of the Institute was secured through the relentless campaigning of the community, the efforts of opposition politicians, Unison, and the dedication of officers from the Caerphilly Arts department.

“Yet, when it came to the photo opportunity, it was reserved for the councillors who first suggested the cuts. It’s a glaring example of credit-hoarding, with those who did the heavy lifting largely left out of frame.”


Never miss an update

Join 1,500+ residents who get the borough’s top stories, local events, and updates sent to their inbox every weekday evening for free.


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Welsh Government
Google
Roger Donovan

Latest News

  • Councillor Kevin Etheridge, centre left, with Blackwood Deputy Town Mayor Jan Griffiths, centre right, and representatives from One Voice Wales
    Award for community efforts to save Blackwood ‘StuteWednesday, August 19, 2026
  • The Rudry Common fire seen from Crescent Road, Caerphilly, at 10.45pm on Tuesday
    Military stands down as wildfire operations continueWednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Rhian Bowen-Davies, Wales' older people's commissioner
    Welsh Government urged to create emergency cash fund as older people’s poverty risesWednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Historic Rhymney House Hotel goes up for auction at £215,000Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • CAERPHILLY: New plans to convert ‘disused’ chapel into two homes
    Planners turn down ‘contrived’ revamp of disused chapelTuesday, August 18, 2026
  • The Home Bargains and Sports Direct units at Blackwood Gate Retail Park, pictured in June 2021
    Thumbs up for Home Bargains expansion plan in retail parkTuesday, August 18, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Notice of application for a premises licence: PIN SIM GOLFSaturday, August 8, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, August 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, July 23, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, July 9, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.