Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Fire service ‘tested’ as wildfires increase by 483%

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 13:55, Monday June 9th, 2025.
Last updated: 09:48, Tuesday June 10th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

A wildfire near Fochriw earlier this year

The number of wildfires recorded across south east Wales so far this year has increased by nearly a sixfold compared to last year.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) said it responded to 928 wildfires in its area between January 1 and May 31 this year.

What area does SWFRS cover?

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service covers south-east Wales, which includes the counties of Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Monmouth, Merthyr Tydfil, Newport, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, and Vale of Glamorgan.

That’s a 483% increase compared to the same time period in 2024.

Of the 928 wildfires, 171 were recorded in Caerphilly County Borough – up from 32 in the first half of 2024, according to provisional figures released by the fire service.

Area manager Matt Jones, head of operations at the fire service, said it had been an “incredibly challenging” start to 2025.

Llanbradach wildfire causes three hectares of damage

He said: “The scale and frequency of wildfires have tested our resources and our people.

“But thanks to the commitment and professionalism of our crews and control room staff, we’ve responded quickly and effectively to protect our communities.”

The rise in wildfires follows a warm and dry spring, which has left grassland and vegetation vulnerable to fires. It’s a much different story to the first half of last year, which was much wetter than average.

SWFRS said many of these wildfires happened on common land, hillsides, and forests – areas difficult to access and dangerous to tackle.

40 hectares of grassland destroyed in Cwmfelinfach wildfire

However, the service believes a ‘significant portion’ of these fires were set deliberately.

Mr Jones continued: “Deliberate fire-setting is a serious crime. It puts lives at risk, destroys habitats, and ties up emergency resources that could be needed elsewhere.

“Our arson reduction teams are working with [Gwent Police and South Wales Police] to investigate these incidents and take robust action where necessary.”

As the summer approaches, the risk of wildfires increase due to hotter and drier weather.

The fire service is urging people to take precautions to reduce the risk. This includes avoiding the use of barbecues or open flames in the countryside, not discarding cigarettes or matches on the ground, and reporting fires immediately.

“Our message is clear,” said Mr Jones. “We’re prepared, but we need the public’s support too. Together, we can reduce the threat of wildfires and keep our communities safe.”

Senior RAF officer begins new role as South Wales Fire Service chief

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Eddy Blanche

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.