Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

‘We owe it to Zach’: calls for focus on veterans at risk of cancer

News | Ella Groves | Published: 09:47, Friday July 4th, 2025.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Labour MS Julie Morgan
Labour MS Julie Morgan

A Senedd Member called for a greater focus on veterans diagnosed with cancer amid concerns about a causal link to exposure to toxic fumes during their military service.

Julie Morgan paid tribute to her Cardiff north constituent Zach Stubbings, who died in January aged 46, after dedicating his life to serve in the Royal Air Force for 15 years.

Ms Morgan said the winchman, who trained Prince William while at RAF Valley, flew more than 2,000 hours on Sea King helicopters carrying out search and rescue missions.

She explained Zach was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, an incurable form of blood cancer, aged only 33-years-old when he was stationed in north Wales in 2013.

Ms Morgan said Zach came to see her in June last year after discovering a causal link between his cancer and the fumes he breathed while working on RAF helicopters.

‘Fight for justice’

Following his diagnosis, Zach, along with three other veterans affected by cancer, founded the Fly Hard, Fight Hard group to raise awareness.

Ms Morgan said: “Zach’s health progressively started to deteriorate from about autumn 2022 but his determination and fight to get justice never waned.

“He wasn’t just fighting for himself – he was fighting for other people who had been affected too. In fact, last year he was willing to meet with me and an officer from the Armed Forces department of the Welsh Government in his hospital bed.

“Unfortunately, just before the meeting, Zach’s health rapidly declined, so it never took place then he sadly passed away in January.”

The MP-turned-Senedd Member expressed concerns about claims the Ministry of Defence may have known about the dangers of toxic fumes as far back as 1999.

Veteran support group launches new base in Machen

‘Urgently needed’

Ms Morgan said the MoD has rebuked the claims, referring to helicopter tests carried out which indicated that aircrews were not exposed to dangerous levels of contaminants.

But she told the Senedd: “There are more than 180 cases being dealt with by solicitors across the UK of people who are progressing action against the MoD. So far, six cases have been settled… one of those cases was Zach’s but he still continued to campaign for others.”

The Labour politician stressed the need to educate new recruits about the possible dangers and ensure GPs are aware of a person’s military record.

She called on the Welsh Government to press the MoD to reveal the number of veterans who flew in helicopters, that were exposed to toxic fumes and consequently developed cancer.

“This is data that is urgently needed,” she said. “The MoD has already started this process but it needs to act quickly because people are dying.”

‘Legacy’

Ms Morgan concluded: “Unfortunately, Zach is no longer here to carry on his campaign for justice, so we owe it to him to carry on his legacy.”

Responding to the debate on July 2, Welsh Government secretary Ken Skates said medical care and occupational health in the Armed Forces is the responsibility of the MoD.

Ken Skates, cabinet secretary for north Wales and transport
Ken Skates, cabinet secretary for north Wales and transport

He told the Senedd: “The settlement of all claims, compensation for injuries or conditions acquired as a result of service is also their responsibility.

“But we can and do add our voices from Wales, reflecting what we hear and see, and we rightly raise concerns and press for reassurance when responsibility… lies elsewhere.”

Mr Skates said he would raise the matter with Alistair Carns, the UK Government’s minister for veterans.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Senedd
Senedd

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.