Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Backing for homes plan on disused industrial site

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 10:47, Thursday August 14th, 2025.
Last updated: 10:47, Thursday August 14th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

The disused unit in Newtown Industrial Estate, Crosskeys, pictured in May 2023
The disused unit in Newtown Industrial Estate, Crosskeys, pictured in May 2023

Proposals to build new homes on a disused industrial site in Crosskeys have won the support of Caerphilly County Borough Council’s planning committee.

The applicant, Rainbow Developments, hopes to build 28 properties on the site at Newtown Industrial Estate.

Speaking to the committee at a meeting on Wednesday August 13, case officer Anthony Pyne said the proposed loss of an employment site should be weighed against the demand for housing.

He said the current site has “poor prospects for reoccupation” under its current planning classification for industrial or commercial use.

According to planning documents submitted to the council, the project was first proposed in May 2023.

During a public consultation period, one neighbour said the site had been “empty for a long time” and its redevelopment would be “very welcome”.

Council buoyed by ‘superb response’ to community asset transfer plans

Another public consultee was less optimistic and raised concerns about the proposed redevelopment’s impact on a nearby business.

The developer hopes to build 25 houses, two one-bedroom apartments and a bungalow on the land, following the expected demolition of the existing empty unit.

Mr Pyne told the committee the project was recommended for approval, subject to the council and developer agreeing a deal on affordable housing.

An officers’ report shows three affordable homes have been proposed by the council.

Cllr Shane Williams asked whether the redevelopment was at risk of flooding from the Sirhowy River, which would be in “close proximity” to the homes.

“I think at times the site has been included in the general flood risk area”, replied Mr Pyne, adding that environmental agency Natural Resources Wales had not objected to the application.

The officers’ report noted a flood assessment had been carried out as part of the application, finding an “acceptable” risk and indicating “the proposed development site is predicted to remain flood-free in all design events”.

The site is also adjacent to flood defences along the river.

Committee members voted unanimously to approve the project, subject to conditions, and planning permission will be granted if an affordable housing agreement is reached within three months.

Views sought on next stage of town’s makeover plans

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.