Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

‘No cause for alarm’: Police chief urges calm after school’s ‘stranger danger’ warning

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 15:51, Friday September 12th, 2025.
Last updated: 15:51, Friday September 12th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Gwent Police officer
Police said it was an “isolated” incident

Police have said there is “no cause for alarm” after a van driver allegedly offered a boy a lift home in Trethomas.

A number of schools across the borough have issued safety advice to parents following the reported incident.

In a statement, Temporary Chief Superintendent Jason White, of Gwent Police, said: “On Thursday September 11, parents in the Caerphilly borough may have received safety advice from their schools around collections and people approaching children in the area.

“I’d like to reassure parents, guardians and learners that there is no cause for alarm across the borough, and this stems from a report made earlier this week in Trethomas.”

Ch Supt White explained: “We received a report of suspicious behaviour in Trethomas at around 3pm on Tuesday September 9 after a man driving a white van along Bryn y Fran Avenue reportedly stopped at the crossroads with Bevan Rise and spoke to a boy walking home from school.

“The man allegedly offered the boy a lift home before driving away when the offer was refused; there was no contact between the motorist and the boy, who returned home safely.

500 jobs to go as Welsh Water announces major restructuring

“The driver of the van was later identified and is assisting our officers as enquiries continue. At this time no offences have been identified nor arrests made.”

Ch Supt White confirmed it was an “isolated” incident, and urged people to be mindful of messages they are sharing online.

He said “While we completely understand parents and guardians remaining vigilant, the report is isolated to the Trethomas area, so we’d ask people to be mindful of what messages they are sharing online.

“Of course, our officers are here for you 24/7 so if you do have any concerns please contact us.”

Anyone with concerns can contact Gwent Police on 101, or through direct message on social media.

Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Gwent Police

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.