Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Landowner claims ‘no threat’ after timber storage plans rejected

News | Tŵm Owen - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 11:52, Friday January 9th, 2026.
Last updated: 11:52, Friday January 9th, 2026

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Tree felling in Llanbradach is due to finish in July this year

A landowner, whose plan to store timber at a former quarry was refused, has said there is “no threat” to a nearby nature reserve. 

Jack Hanbury Tenison also said the rejected plan would have helped reduce road closures in place for crews to chop down diseased trees at the roadside. 

A council planning report, which rejected the application, claimed “the applicant” had suggested a licence that allows the council to use part of the site as a nature reserve would be withdrawn if the application was refused. That, the report said, would “close the reserve down with immediate effect”. 

But Mr Hanbury Tenison, whose family developed Pontypool Park before gifting it to the public, said there is “no threat” from him to the nature reserve that forms the wider part of the former Cwmynscoy Quarry to the south of Pontypool. 

Torfaen Council planners rejected the application as, they said, delivering and unloading felled trees on existing area of hardstanding would “undermine the peace and tranquillity” of the reserve. The location in the open countryside was also found to be inappropriate and storing timber visually “unacceptable”. 

Mr Hanbury Tenison said: “There is no threat to the nature reserve from me and I do see the comment as a little bit perverse.” 

The quarry area is in three parts with an area of land that has been licensed to the council for the nature reserve alongside another part the estate gifted the council which also forms a nature reserve. The third part is the former Hanson’s quarry where it was planned to store timber on hardstanding and which, the landowner, said has to be used for “agriculture or forestry”. 

Timber storage plans next to nature reserve rejected

Mr Hanbury Tenison said the licence granted to the council has already expired and he is in talks with the council over its future but said while he wants the nature reserve to continue he was disappointed it was cited by the council as a reason to reject his planning application. 

He said: “The council has created the problem saying the nature reserve is the reason for the refusal. If it’s not a nature reserve then they don’t have a reason to refuse, it seems a slightly perverse logic, why do we have to have an argument?” 

The landowner said it is a “fact, not a threat” the current licence has come to an end but talks are continuing and said there is no intention to force the reserve’s closure: “We are all for the nature reserve and I can’t quite understand why the council has created this problem.” 

Mr Hanbury Tenison said he had been approached by a tree surgeon contracted to cut down diseased trees to use the quarry as a local storage area rather than them having to transport felled trees further away: “I thought it was a good idea and would help with commuters getting to work as it would help reduce the road closures.” 

He said he doesn’t know at present whether he will appeal the refusal and would likely need to consider further advice. 

Torfaen Friends of the Earth, the Friends of Cwmynyscoy Nature Reserve and the Gwent Wildlife Trust all objected to the storage plans as the quarry form part of a Site of Importance to Nature Conservation or SINC and is also part of the Cwmynyscoy Quarries West Regionally Important Geodiversity Sites. 

Torfae Council’s ecologist and environmental regulator Natural Resources Wales said they believed the application could be approved with conditions, and there was no objection from the highways department.   

Torfaen council has been approached for comment. 


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

NRW

Latest News

  • How solar panels could look in the car park of the Grange University Hospital
    Plans to cover hospital car park with solar panels approvedMonday, February 16, 2026
  • From left: HSBC's Donagh Kelly; David Perez of the Development Bank of Wales; Spotnails' Craig Bates; and the Development Bank's Kabitah Begum
    Tools firm secures multi-million pound loan fundingMonday, February 16, 2026
  • CAMPAIGN: WASPI members outside Caerphilly Castle
    ‘Prompt and just compensation’ call for WASPI women hit by pension age changesMonday, February 16, 2026
  • Rugby round-up: All-borough clashes and heavy scorelines on Valentine’s DayMonday, February 16, 2026
  • An off-road bike which was seized by police for being ridden without insurance, tax or an MOT
    Legal off-road biking area could be createdMonday, February 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly crush Corries: Brecon no match for league leadersSunday, February 15, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.