Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Asbestos worker died on last day at Cwmcarn High School

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 12:47, Monday August 5th, 2013.
Last updated: 11:54, Tuesday August 13th, 2013

James Paul with fiancee Emily Rogers and their son Kingsley
James Paul with fiancee Emily Rogers and their son Kingsley

A worker who was killed while removing asbestos from Cwmcarn High School was due to start a new job the following day, his family has said.

Jamie Paul, 26, was working his last day at the school before starting a new job with a new contractor when he died on July 19.

Mr Paul from Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent, was engaged to Emily Rogers and leaves behind their two-year-old son Kingsley.

In a statement, Mr Paul’s mother Sharon said: “The whole family is devastated and cannot believe that he has been taken from us.

“The house will not be the same without him as he was a very vocal person with a wicked sense of humour and you certainly knew that he was around. Jamie was a larger than life character who would help anybody if needed and will be deeply missed by all the family and his friends.

“I cannot believe the number of tributes and messages of condolences that we have received during this difficult time, and the number of people who had nothing but good things to say about my son. This has made me and his father very proud indeed.

“Jamie was the best fiancée, daddy, son, brother and uncle that anyone could wish to have who worked hard to provide for his family. Jamie loved spending time and doing things with his young son Kingsley, going out on his bike, walking the dog, mending the car anything really they were inseparable. Kingsley and Emily were Jamie’s life, and they were discussing getting married next year.”

In July, Gwent Coroner David Bowen adjourned his investigation into Mr Paul’s death until October 3.

The hearing was told Mr Paul was found unresponsive after paramedics attended the school at around 3.15pm and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Paul had suffered a cardiac arrest whilst working in suspended ceiling space and it is thought he may have been electrocuted.

Asbestos removal firm Caswell Group started work at the school last month after Caerphilly Councillors agreed to spend £1m removing the substance from the buildings.

The school was originally closed in October last year after a council-commissioned report by contractors Santia Ltd stated that asbestos did pose a potential health risk. The original Santia report recommended further investigation but also suggested the council consider demolishing the school.

Since then, various different reports on the issue have led to differing conclusions.

A Health and Safety Executive report recently published suggested the asbestos at Cwmcarn High posed no risk to people if properly managed.

An investigation by Gwent Police and the Health and Safety Executive into Mr Paul’s death is now underway.

Mr Paul’s father Robert added: “It is a tragedy for sure, one that we have not got all the answers for as of yet.

“We as a family have to place our trust and confidence in the Gwent Police, the Coroner and the Health and Safety Executive to conduct a thorough investigation to be able to provide us the family with the answers and closure that this tragedy warrants.”

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • An artist's impression of how the Lower Plas Court development could look
    Work underway on 58 new flats in town centreTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.