Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Firefighters to strike for a fourth time in pensions row

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 09:44, Thursday November 7th, 2013.

Firefighters will go on strike for a fourth time in a dispute over pensions.

Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) will stage industrial action on Wednesday November 13 for two hours between 10am and 2pm. It will follow similar strikes held in September and earlier this month.

Under plans by the UK Government, firefighters will get their full pension at 60 instead of 55. The FBU says 60 is too old to be fighting fires and its members face redundancy if they fail fitness tests. Those retiring early, the union argues, would lose thousands of pounds.

The FBU has also announced that members will be balloted for other forms of industrial action in the future.

Matt Wrack, FBU General Secretary, said: “Our members enter burning buildings for a living, and will not be intimidated by the government’s decision to worsen their proposals. This latest attack will simply harden the resolve of firefighters.

“Ministers continue to ignore the professional, evidence-based case firefighters have presented over the past three years and refuse to establish an affordable occupational pension scheme which reflects the occupation of firefighting.

“There seems to be little or no understanding of what our members actually do or the standards they are required to meet.”

On the new ballot for further industrial action, Wrack added: “Although we still hope the government returns to negotiations, our members have told us that they are prepared for a long, hard campaign if necessary.

“As a result we are now balloting for further forms of industrial action.

“The fire and rescue service is totally reliant on the goodwill of firefighters on the front line. Many are now performing additional duties and additional hours as a result of central government funding cuts.

“There is precious little goodwill left in view of these attacks and that I am confident that will be reflected in this further vote.

“I urge the government to come back and talk about all the issues in dispute.”

Fire Minister Brandon Lewis told firefighters on Friday November 1 that he had withdrawn June proposals on firefighters taking their pension before 60.

The FBU has argued that firefighters are likely to experience a decline in fitness in their 50s, meaning that they would be unlikely to meet the fitness standards required in the fire service.

Chief Fire Officers last week highlighted that the government’s proposals would mean firefighters facing a choice between the loss of almost half their pension or dismissal for failing to reach the standards.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.