Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Caerphilly Council leader promises action over A469 closure between New Tredegar and Pontlottyn

News | Gareth Hill | Published: 16:41, Friday March 7th, 2014.
Last updated: 20:20, Friday March 7th, 2014

The leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council has assured residents that all efforts are being made to reopen the A469 between New Tredegar and Pontlottyn.

Cllr Harry Andrews and senior councillors met local AM Huw Lewis today to discuss the problem.

Cllr Andrews said: “I would like to assure local residents that we are working hard to move things forward as quickly as possible.

“We fully recognise that the road closure is causing significant disruption and inconvenience to the whole Upper Rhymney Valley.

“I would like to thank local people for their patience and understanding while we work to re-open this critical route.”

Site meetings have taken place and an approach has been made to the Welsh Government to assist with the repair works

Welsh Water has now finalised the details of their plan to replace the high pressure water main through the area and has shared these with relevant agencies.

Caerphilly Council will undertake further drainage works, carriageway repairs and retaining wall construction during this period.

The local authority has said the anticipated timeframe is probably around seven weeks. However, design work is still continuing and the work is weather dependent. The council will work closely with Welsh Water to keep to a minimum the time the road needs to be fully closed.

Ian Christie, Welsh Water’s Director of Water Services said: “Our team went to great lengths to ensure water supplies to customers in the area were maintained following the burst.

“Since then, we have liaised closely with Caerphilly Council regarding our plans for the permanent repair which we currently anticipate will commence on March 17. We will ensure we keep customers in the area fully informed of our plans for the repair.”

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • polling station sign
    Voters head to the polls in Van ward by-electionThursday, February 19, 2026
  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.