A seven-year-old girl who saved her family from carbon monoxide poisoning has won a Pride of Britain award.
Jaydee-Lee Dummett, from Fochriw, has won the Child of Courage Award after noticing a gas leak in her house earlier this year.
Jaydee-Lee had been taught about gas safety at school and was able to use her new-found knowledge to alert her family to the dangers.
After her four-year-old brother, Leylan, woke up in the middle of the night disoriented and “seeing things”, Jaydee-Lee noticed the light on the carbon monoxide detector had changed from green to red and told her mother to call for help immediately.
The seven-year-old was able to recite the gas emergency number – 0800 111 999 – that she had learned at school.
An emergency engineer from Wales and West Utilities soon arrived at the house.
Jaydee-Lee’s mother, Lindy Burke, said: “Jaydee-Lee was sat in the kitchen telling the engineer all about the different types of flames.”
Ms Burke added: “You hear so many bad stories with carbon monoxide, and they say it’s a silent killer.
“I couldn’t be prouder of Jaydee-Lee – she saved our lives. From being involved in a simple lesson on gas safety, she knew exactly what to look for.
“Looking back, without this lesson, I genuinely don’t think we’d still be alive. She’s our little hero.”
Emergency engineer Sean Ward said Jaydee-Lee “should be commended.”
“From speaking to her that night, it was clear that she took in such a lot of vital information from the gas safety lesson, which is fantastic,” said Mr Ward.