Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

More coronavirus cases confirmed in south Wales

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 17:36, Thursday March 12th, 2020.
Last updated: 11:37, Friday March 13th, 2020

The number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Wales has increased to 25.

Six new cases have been announced today (Thursday, March 12) in Monmouthshire, Cardiff and Blaenau Gwent, with two new cases announced in the Neath Port Talbot authority area. The other case is in Wrexham.

In total, 785 people have so far been tested for coronavirus in Wales, with the World Health Organisation declaring the outbreak a pandemic.

A coronavirus case was confirmed in Caerphilly County Borough on Wednesday (March 11). It is currently the only confirmed case in the borough.

Coronavirus: Case confirmed in Caerphilly County Borough

Speaking on Thursday, March 12, Dr Robin Howe, incident director for coronavirus at Public Health Wales, said updates on the number of people diagnosed with the condition will now be revealed daily at 11am.

Dr Howe said: “The process of identifying and contacting close contacts of the new cases is underway, and we are taking all appropriate actions to protect the public’s health.

“The six patients are being managed in clinically appropriate settings based on the assessment of a specialist infectious disease consultant.

He said the new cases in Monmouthshire and Cardiff are linked to travel abroad, while the Neath Port Talbot cases are of people who have come in contact with recently diagnosed cases.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


However, Dr Howe confirmed the cases in Blaenau Gwent and Wrexham have no history of travel to affected countries and are not known to have had contact with other confirmed cases.

Dr Howe added: “We ask those reporting on the situation to respect patient confidentiality, and to understand our efforts to protect their privacy.

“The public can be assured that Wales and the whole of the UK is prepared for these types of incidents.  Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.”

Latest News

  • The new Class 231 train
    No trains between Rhymney and Cardiff for week-long tunnel worksFriday, February 20, 2026
  • doctor stock image
    Health boards working together amid global supply shortageFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.