Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Plans to demolish hotel to make way for housing lodged

News | Emily Gill - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 12:46, Wednesday July 8th, 2020.
Last updated: 12:46, Wednesday July 8th, 2020
The Solar Strand Hotel, Crosskeys

Plans have been submitted to demolish The Solar Strand Hotel in Crosskeys and build 11 homes on the site.

The hotel, which was formerly known as The Cross Keys Hotel, could be redeveloped to provide 10 houses and one bungalow.

The outline planning application only deals with access, layout and landscaping; all other matters will be considered at a later date, subject to approval.

A design and access report for the development describes the location of the hotel as “sustainable” because of its closeness to a railway station and bus stops.

Concerns about the development had been raised by five residents in the pre-application consultation over parking provision. Specifically, the overspill into nearby roads and the potential for congestion.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Other issues raised included a loss of a historical feature, an increase in noise, a loss in privacy and permanent employment issues.

However the design and access statement says: “The principle of the development was supported, but it was advised that further revisions be made to the layout to improve the level of private amenity space and public open space within the site.”

Although it has not yet been revealed how big these houses would be, the application says that 10 of the houses will be two-storey, while one will be a single-storey house. All of the houses will benefit from off-street parking.

The planning application will be considered by Caerphilly County Borough Council in the coming months.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Jaggery

1 thought on “Plans to demolish hotel to make way for housing lodged”

  1. Debbie Jacobs says:
    Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 17:57

    How about people who have paid to stay there 4 rooms in total???

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Players from Aber Valley Wolves and Cardiff Blue Dragons' wheelchair sides following their game on February 8
    Aber Valley Wolves wheelchair side play their first competitive matchTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Gwent Police's headquarters
    Tribunal rules Gwent Police discriminated against officer with HIV diagnosisTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Heroes who rescued baby from burning car recognised as ‘Community Stars’Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Blackwood High Street
    Fire service called as blaze breaks out on high streetTuesday, February 17, 2026
  • An artist's impression of how the Lower Plas Court development could look
    Work underway on 58 new flats in town centreTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.