Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Further coronavirus cases reported in Bedwas

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 19:45, Sunday September 6th, 2020.
Last updated: 19:49, Sunday September 6th, 2020

A primary school, a nursery and a pub have all reported having cases of coronavirus on their premises.

Bedwas Infants School, Playworks Early Days Nursery and the Fisherman’s Rest have all posted updates on social media.

It follows confirmation that 21 pupils at St Gwladys Primary School, in Bargoed, have had to self-isolate because a staff member tested positive for Covid-19.

On Sunday, September 6, Bedwas Infants School posted on Facebook that a pupil had tested positive and that staff and pupils from one of its classes will have to self-isolate.

Playworks Early Days Nursery has also confirmed that one of its children has tested positive.

It is unknown if the two cases are linked. Caerphilly County Borough Council has been contacted to provide further information

Support our journalism and go ad-free from just £3 a month


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Pub staff member also has positive test

Posting on Facebook on Friday, September 4, the landlord of the Fisherman’s Rest in Bedwas said a member of staff was tested on Tuesday. The staff member found out the positive result on the Friday.

Landlord Jonny Harris posted: “That staff member hasn’t worked at the pub since Tuesday. I have a pod system in place and all of those in that bar staff pod have been advised, by me, to remain away from the pub until a test a result is provided.”

He said the pub, which was flooded earlier this year, will remain open as it is regularly sanitised.

He added: “My focus is on support and reassurance to firstly my team and secondly my customers.

“To say I am wondering what I did wrong in a previous life to get such a kicking over the last seven months is an understatement but to put it into context far more have been through far more than me.”

Bedwas Rugby Club also affected

Posting on Saturday, September 5, Bedwas Rugby Club has announced its closure until Thursday after a customer tested positive.

A lack of social distancing by the public has been blamed for the recent spike in cases across Caerphilly County Borough. Caerphilly Observer understands there have been clusters of cases in Caerphilly town, Bargoed, Blackwood and now Bedwas.

So great is the concern from health officials, visits to care homes across the county borough have been stopped and a mobile testing centre has been set up in the car park of Caerphilly Leisure Centre.

Authorities are calling on the public to maintain social distancing and to sanitise their hands regularly.

More new cases reported

Public Health Wales has today (September 6) reported a further 25 new cases it is aware of from tests carried out since September 1. This figure does not include any results from the walk-in testing centre at Caerphilly Leisure Centre.

Caerphilly Observer has been told that around 400 people were tested at the centre on its first day yesterday (Saturday).

Official figures won’t be available until early next week.

The temporary testing centre is due to remain until Tuesday.

Coronavirus in Caerphilly: What we know so far

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • The new Class 231 train
    No trains between Rhymney and Cardiff for week-long tunnel worksFriday, February 20, 2026
  • doctor stock image
    Health boards working together amid global supply shortageFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.