Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Sports clubs and athletes in social media blackout to protest against online abuse

News, Sport | Rhys Williams | Published: 17:17, Tuesday May 4th, 2021.
Last updated: 17:17, Tuesday May 4th, 2021

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Sports clubs and athletes took part in a social media blackout
Sports clubs and athletes took part in a social media blackout

Sports clubs and athletes from Caerphilly County Borough joined in with a four-day social media blackout as part of a protest against online abuse.

The boycott began at 3pm on Friday, April 30 and came to an end at 11.59pm on Monday, May 3.

Bargoed RFC, Caerphilly RFC and Penallta RFC were among the rugby clubs to join in with the boycott, alongside the Welsh Rugby Union and Dragons Rugby.

The Welsh Football team also joined in with the blackout, alongside Welsh Premier Women’s League side Cascade Ladies and Aber Valley FC.

Rugby star pens open letter to others affected by racism

Wales international Natasha Harding and darts world champion Gerwyn Price also took part, as did Crumlin-based Valleys Gymnastics Academy.

Sports clubs and athletes from across the UK and further afield took part in the blackout.

In a statement prior to the blackout, the Welsh Rugby Union said it “will be part of the sporting world’s boycott of social media this weekend in the collective bid to tackle online racism, discrimination and abuse.

“This is a matter that the WRU takes seriously, having shed light on the abuse received by its players in the past – most recently during this year’s Guinness Six Nations campaign.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


The statement continued: “We are aware that eradicating online abuse won’t happen overnight, but we hope that this weekend’s social media boycott will be the first of many steps towards doing so.”

Dragons rugby star Ashton Hewitt, who used to play for Cross Keys, has previously spoken out about the racist abuse he has received on social media.

Hewitt, who was targeted in a string of vile racist tweets after the Dragons were beaten by the Scarlets in January, penned an open letter that month following the abuse.

He said: “As somebody who has experienced racism throughout my life, within the sport I’ve always played, I want to do what I can to ensure that younger people don’t have to experience some of the things that I did and feel the way I have felt.

“I wasn’t always confident enough to speak up on issues around racism out of fear of ‘rocking the boat’ and raising an issue that nobody else around me would understand.

“This allowed racism to continue unchecked. I also recognised that the number of role models to look up to in my sport weren’t plentiful and as I get older and look past the team, there are a lack of role models throughout entire organisations. This is something I believe must change.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Ashley Comley, chief executive of Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent
    From student volunteer to Citizens Advice chief executiveWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council's headquarters in Tredomen
    Parties at odds over plan for 6.25% council tax hikeWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Demolition underway after the fire
    Major fire cause still unknown as building demolishedWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Rebecca Evans, Welsh Government cabinet secretary for economy, energy, and planning
    Up to £50k of support available for small and medium businessesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • The Welsh Government is paying for 160 new ambulances
    £23m funding for 160 new ambulances across WalesWednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Aerial view of the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) near Beaumaris Way, Cefn Fforest
    Decision day inches closer on contentious plans for 300 homesTuesday, February 17, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.