Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Welsh Government moving to weekly Covid reviews as Omicron concerns grow

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 10:15, Monday December 13th, 2021.
Last updated: 19:05, Wednesday October 18th, 2023
First Minister Mark Drakeford during a Welsh Government coronavirus press conference
First Minister Mark Drakeford during a Welsh Government coronavirus press conference

The Welsh Government will begin holding weekly Covid reviews as concerns grow over the spread of the new Omicron variant.

The reviews were previously held every three weeks, with the outcome of the most recent review being announced on Friday, December 10.

In that review, it was announced Wales would remain in Alert Level Zero.

Wales to remain in Alert Level Zero but lateral flow tests and face masks encouraged

However, First Minister Mark Drakeford urged people to take regular lateral flow tests before going out, as well as to wear face masks in pubs and restaurants when not eating or drinking.

Mr Drakeford said more is being learned about the new “fast-moving” variant “every day” – and said further steps may need to be taken to control its spread.

He said the variant “has the potential to cause a large wave of infections in Wales” and added: “This could lead to large numbers of people needing hospital treatment at a time when our NHS is under significant pressure.”

The First Minister continued: “Our best defence continues to be vaccination. Emerging evidence shows the booster dose is vital.

“We are doing everything we can to accelerate our vaccination programme to increase the number of people who will receive their booster in the coming days and weeks. Older people and those at greatest risk are being prioritised at the moment. 

“We are increasing the number of clinics and their opening hours. We have asked all available staff to join vaccination teams to support this national effort.”

Last week, the Welsh Government said all adults in Wales will have been offered a booster vaccine by the end of January.

Welsh Conservative Shadow Health Minister Russell George MS called on the Welsh Government to bring this target forward by a month.

Mr George said: “The Omicron variant is now doubling elsewhere in the UK every two to three days and we must urgently reinforce our wall of vaccine protection in Wales to keep our friends and loved ones safe.

“Whilst it is encouraging the variant has not yet resulted in deaths and with all indications that it is a milder form of the virus, it is more transmissible and it’s clear booster jabs are a vital defence against the variant.”

Mr Drakeford is set to address the nation on BBC One Wales and social media from 7pm on Monday, December 13, where he will talk about the booster vaccination programme.

As we continue to deal with the new Omicron variant, I will be providing an update about our accelerated booster programme on @BBCWalesNews and on social media at 7pm tonight. Diolch.

— Vaughan Gething ??????? (@PrifWeinidog) December 13, 2021

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


What are the rules in Wales?

  • Face masks must be worn in public places such as shops, schools, hospitals and public transport, as well as pubs and restaurants when not eating or drinking.
  • NHS Covid passes are required for entry into large events, such as sports games and concerts, as well as nightclubs, cinemas and theatres.
  • Working from home where possible is recommended, as is taking a lateral flow test before going out.
  • Anyone who is a close contact of someone who tests positive for the Omicron variant is required to self-isolate for ten days, regardless of vaccination status.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.