Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Family wins bid for home extension despite neighbour’s ‘boxed in’ concerns

Newport | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 16:17, Wednesday August 6th, 2025.
Last updated: 16:18, Wednesday August 6th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Newport Civic Centre
Newport Civic Centre

A family’s proposal to extend their home has won planning permission despite neighbour concerns.

The Habib family applied for a ground-floor extension and a smaller upstairs extension at their Western Avenue home.

Speaking at a Newport City Council planning committee meeting, on Wednesday August 6, one family member urged the local authority to show “compassion” in granting the scheme, which she said would provide an “appropriately designed space” for a relative with additional needs.

The family’s original proposals for a larger extension had been scaled back in response to the council’s initial concerns, she added.

A neighbour, Jeff Connolly, told the committee the proposed extension would leave his property “overshadowed and boxed in”.

He said the property had already been extended under a previous application for a conservatory, and he feared approving the new project would “set a precedent for future development” in the neighbourhood.

Two of the Allt-yr-yn ward’s three councillors had “expressed concerns about overdevelopment”, he added.

Call for ‘transparency’ over council investment in indoor market project

One of them, Cllr Matthew Evans, told the committee he had “empathy” for the applicants’ case but in planning terms “there is a principle of what is acceptable”.

Planners’ conclusions that the development wouldn’t result in significant harm were “hardly a ringing endorsement”, he added.

Case officer Adam Foote said the council was “satisfied this application is acceptable… regardless of the personal circumstances that have been discussed”.

“We consider the planning merits of this scheme to be acceptable,” he added.

The committee also heard that ward councillor Pat Drewett had submitted written comments in support of the application.

Demolition plan set out for ’empty and unused’ office near Caerphilly Castle

However, Mr Connolly noted Cllr Drewett had previously opposed a single-storey extension proposal elsewhere in Western Avenue, which the councillor said at the time “risks setting a precedent for overdevelopment in the area, leading to a loss of the neighbourhood’s character”.

Commenting on the current proposal before the committee, Cllr Trevor Watkins questioned the overall increase in the property’s footprint, given the second proposal for its extension.

“It concerns me that could be an overdevelopment,” he said.

Mr Foote said planners were “satisfied” the property would have “ample space left for amenity”.

Members of the planning committee granted permission for the extension, subject to several conditions including that the proposed flat roof must not be used “in any form as a balcony, roof terrace, storage area, sitting out area or similar amenity area”.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

LDRS

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.