Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Time to crack down on ‘fleecehold’ contracts, councillors say

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 14:44, Wednesday April 8th, 2026.
Last updated: 14:44, Wednesday April 8th, 2026

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Newly-elected councillor Elizabeth Davies and fellow-Penmaen councillor Roy Saralis
Penmaen ward councillors Elizabeth Davies and Roy Saralis

Tougher regulation should be introduced to protect residents from “exploitative” practices and end so-called “fleecehold” contracts, councillors in Caerphilly have agreed.

Cllr Elizabeth Davies said some constituents in her Penmaen ward had “no choice” when buying new homes other than to enter into deals with private estate management companies.

These firms typically look after communal spaces in new estates, but councillors heard in the worst cases, residents were left paying more and receiving less.

Residents said bills had “more than doubled” for services and those who wanted to sell their homes faced “significant” fees, Cllr Davies told a council meeting on Tuesday April 7.

She said people from within and outside her ward had been affected, and noted the support of Islwyn Senedd Member Rhianon Passmore and the late Caerphilly MS Hefin David.

Calls to protect ‘powerless’ homeowners from ‘exploitative’ private estate contracts

Cllr Roy Saralis said “more and more” people reported being “tied into” mandatory contracts when they bought a new home, and such terms were “often impossible” to change.

He said there was “very little transparency” about how management fees were calculated, and bills tended to rise substantially over the years.

He and Cllr Davies have called on ministers to tighten current rules he said had “allowed this model to become the norm”.

The plea was not designed to impact management firms who properly fulfil their roles, but about clamping down on troublesome practices such as “threatening” letters demanding payment, and “high and often unexpected transfer fees” when homes change hands, he said.

Cllr Sean Morgan said he would “fully support” calls for action.

“These companies are now… known as fleeceholders because they are known to be fleecing the residents,” he told councillors. “I definitely believe that more regulation should be brought in.”

The chairman of the council’s housing committee, Cllr Andrew Whitcombe, added its members had given the motion their unanimous backing at a meeting in March.

Welsh Government urged to act on ‘fleecehold scandal’

Cllr Jamie Pritchard, who leads the local authority, said he was “more than happy” to write to the borough’s MPs and Senedd Members, as well as the Welsh and UK governments.

“It’s not a matter the council can resolve in and of itself, but clearly if ministers have a say on this… I’m more than happy to make those representations,” he said.

Earlier this year, the UK Government indicated proposals to give residents “more power to tackle unreasonable charges for upkeep of shared areas”.

Members of the Senedd have also supported calls for change, in recognition of the late Dr David’s decade of work to tackle the issue.

MS calls for cap on estate management charges

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Oakdale and Penmaen Labour

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.