Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

1,500 sign petition to ‘save’ asbestos-hit Cwmcarn High School

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 09:59, Wednesday December 19th, 2012.
Last updated: 08:50, Monday December 24th, 2012

More than 1,500 people have signed an online petition calling on the Welsh Government and Caerphilly County Borough Council to guarantee the long-term future of Cwmcarn High School.

The school was closed in October after contractors found asbestos and the school’s 930 pupils were later moved to the former Coleg Gwent campus in Ebbw Vale.

In a recent Christmas letter to parents published on the school’s website, headteacher Jacqui Peplinski urged parents to sign the petition.

She said: “We are delighted that the learners have been so positive about the move. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support and trust in us at this difficult time.

“We are in the process of sending in independent experts to assess the situation in Cwmcarn and we will update you on the outcome as soon as we can.

“In the meantime, we will all look forward to our return to Cwmcarn High School in Cwmcarn; we are positive about the future. Please continue to follow developments on the school website and insist that everyone signs the petition.

“The Parent Support Group is a fantastic initiative and I am overwhelmed by the action that parents have initiated.”

Contractors Santia Asbestos Management Ltd said in its October report there was asbestos contamination in ceiling voids and recommended the demolition of affected buildings.

The findings of the report have been called into question after it emerged the contractors used a much lower threshold in recording asbestos.

Earlier this month a council-backed planned survey of the entire site was stopped after the school’s governors said they wanted their own independent survey.

The Health and Safety Executive is also carrying out its own investigation.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Caerphilly crush Corries: Brecon no match for league leadersSunday, February 15, 2026
  • Demand for temporary accommodation outstripping supply of one-bed homesFriday, February 13, 2026
  • The area where the 40 homes could be built is highlighted in yellow, while another Llanmoor development is already underway to the north
    New homes decision on hold amid affordable housing talksFriday, February 13, 2026
  • Lauren Price will fight Stephanie Pineiro Aquino in Cardiff this April
    Boxer Price set for hometown return to meet fans ahead of upcoming fightFriday, February 13, 2026
  • From left: Bryan Masters, Cheryl Waters and Malcolm Waters
    Disabled couple angry at council after parking concerns ‘overlooked’Friday, February 13, 2026
  • Gerwyn Price celebrating during his Premier League Darts Night 2 win in Antwerp
    Price wins his first Premier League Darts night of the yearFriday, February 13, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.