Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Caerphilly Council to donate £50,000 to Senghenydd’s mining memorial appeal

News | Richard Gurner | Published: 09:07, Tuesday January 22nd, 2013.
Last updated: 12:50, Monday January 28th, 2013

A photograph depicting a mother and child at the Universal Colliery site in Senghenydd

Plans to build a National Mining Memorial in Senghenydd have been boosted by a £50,000 donation from Caerphilly County Borough Council.

The council’s chief executive Anthony O’Sullivan made the delegated decision in December last year after a meeting between himself, Caerphilly Council leader Harry Andrews and members of the Aber Valley Heritage Group, who are planning the memorial.

Cllr Andrews said: “Honouring and remembering the men and boys who perished across Wales in coal mines is of paramount importance to us, with Senghenydd the obvious choice as a location, due to the rich mining heritage that is ingrained into the people who live there. The memorial will provide a priceless and fitting tribute to all the colliery workers who have lost their lives in the mines.”

The £50,000 donation has been transferred from money set aside to pay landfill tax. The landfill tax budget is currently underspent.

Four-hundred and thirty-nine men and boys died in the 1913 disaster at the Universal Colliery, Senghenydd. The Aber Valley Heritage Group are in the process of planning a National Memorial at the site of the tragedy to mark its Centenary this year.

The Mining Memorial will consist of a remembrance wall featuring all the names of the men and boys who died in the 1913 and the 1901 explosions at Universal Colliery, a pathway of memory to all mining disasters in Wales, and a bronze sculpture as the centrepiece to the memorial.

Visit www.abervalleyheritage.co.uk for more information.

SUPPORT FOR SENGHENYDD NATIONAL MINING MEMORIAL APPEAL by

1 thought on “Caerphilly Council to donate £50,000 to Senghenydd’s mining memorial appeal”

  1. clive says:
    Monday, January 28, 2013 at 13:31

    Just a century late !

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Caerphilly crush Corries: Brecon no match for league leadersSunday, February 15, 2026
  • Demand for temporary accommodation outstripping supply of one-bed homesFriday, February 13, 2026
  • The area where the 40 homes could be built is highlighted in yellow, while another Llanmoor development is already underway to the north
    New homes decision on hold amid affordable housing talksFriday, February 13, 2026
  • Lauren Price will fight Stephanie Pineiro Aquino in Cardiff this April
    Boxer Price set for hometown return to meet fans ahead of upcoming fightFriday, February 13, 2026
  • From left: Bryan Masters, Cheryl Waters and Malcolm Waters
    Disabled couple angry at council after parking concerns ‘overlooked’Friday, February 13, 2026
  • Gerwyn Price celebrating during his Premier League Darts Night 2 win in Antwerp
    Price wins his first Premier League Darts night of the yearFriday, February 13, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.