Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Fire service warn caution as Bonfire Night events take place across Caerphilly County Borough

News | | Published: 11:00, Friday October 31st, 2014.

AWESOME: The firework display over Caerphilly Castle last year
AWESOME: The firework display over Caerphilly Castle last year

The fire service has warned residents to be careful and vigilant over Halloween and Bonfire Night.

They are re-launching Operation Bang in a bid to cut down on fire crime and hoax calls over the busy period.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service will be on patrol to ensure that residents stay safe, to reduce the risk of injury, as well as potential fires caused by stray fireworks or bonfires.

Over the period last year, firefighters dealt with 80 deliberate refuse fires and the service received 15 hoax calls, which can result in a £5,000 fine or six months in prison. There were also two attacks on their crews.

Dewi Jones, Head of Fire Crime at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “As a service we don’t want to spoil the fun that Halloween and Bonfire Night brings to our local communities, but we also want to ensure that the public stay safe as well.

“If you are planning on going to a fireworks display, ensure that it is a registered public event. However, if you wish to buy your own, please ensure they have the British kitemark safety standard.

“While we appreciate that putting your bins out the morning of collection may prove more awkward for households, as a service we would like to encourage people to do this all year round. It just reduces the risk of individuals starting refuse fires.”

There are a number of public firework displays over the period, including the famous show at Caerphilly Castle on November 1 from 7pm.

Entrance is free and the best viewing areas are from Crescent Road and Dafydd Williams Park.

Caerphilly town councillor Phil Bevan said: “With the significant road works taking place in Caerphilly at present, we would urge those coming to the display to set aside additional time to get to the castle.”

Crescent Road in the town centre will be shut from 5pm until 9pm for the annual event with no access from Nantgarw Road and no parking in the area. Temporary parking is available at St Ilan’s School.

There will be collections in aid of Caerffili Lions Club and the Urdd Eisteddfod at the display.

At Rudry Parish Hall on Guy Fawkes Night, November 5, there are fireworks, a bonfire, hot food and a real ale bar from 6.30pm.

There is also a free Bonfire Night fireworks display at the Hanbury road Car Park in Bargoed from 6.30pm, as well as funfair rides and hot food.

At Blackwood Rugby Club there will be fireworks and a laser display on November 5 from 6pm, with hotdogs, burgers and other refreshments.

For the more adventurous there is a walk up Twmbarlwm to enjoy the fireworks in the surrounding valleys, setting off from Cwmcarn Forest Drive at 6pm. Booking is required by calling 01495 272001.

1 thought on “Fire service warn caution as Bonfire Night events take place across Caerphilly County Borough”

  1. Paul. says:
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 07:54

    Perhaps it is time to ban the sale of fireworks to the general public, bonfire night is a tradition annual event but it appears to last for a number of weeks not just a couple of evenings and is becoming an acceptable excuse for anti social behaviour and arson. Come on Welsh Assembly you know how much you pride yourselves in being the first to introduce legislation on anything, how about some sort of ban on firework sales.

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • The new Class 231 train
    No trains between Rhymney and Cardiff for week-long tunnel worksFriday, February 20, 2026
  • doctor stock image
    Health boards working together amid global supply shortageFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Jane Mudd, police and crime commissioner for Gwent
    Up to £5,000 available for groups running community projects and eventsFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Cultural hub plan for Caerphilly Workmen’s Hall boosted by £270,000 grantFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Councillors across Wales set for 6.4% pay riseFriday, February 20, 2026
  • Plaid Cymru's Alison Vyas and Jeff Grenfell
    More success for Plaid in double by-election victoryFriday, February 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, February 6, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, January 23, 2026
  • Notice of application for a variation of a premises licence: Morgan Jones Bowling ClubThursday, January 15, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, January 8, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.