Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Transport for Wales looking at “options” to replace footbridge

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 17:24, Wednesday June 3rd, 2020.
Last updated: 17:24, Wednesday June 3rd, 2020
The Tynygraig footbridge after being hit by a skip lorry

Transport for Wales will “investigate options” to replace a railway footbridge hit by a skip lorry.

The Tynygraig footbridge in Llanbradach, which was already closed due to damage, was broken beyond repair and had to be removed after it was hit on Thursday, May 28.

A Transport for Wales (TfW) spokesperson said: “Engineers worked around the clock to safely demolish the bridge in time to resume running Rhymney Line services on the morning of Saturday, May 30.

Extensive damage caused to footbridge after being hit by skip lorry

“We’d like to thank our customers and the community of Llanbradach for their patience and understanding while work was being undertaken on the bridge.

“We appreciate that this is an historic facility used by the members of the community to access local woodlands, and we have already begun investigating options for reinstating the crossing.”

Llanbradach ward councillors Colin Mann and Rob Gough had previously expressed fears the footbridge would be closed permanently, having closed in April due to damage.

Cllr Gough said it was the fourth time the bridge had been struck in seven months.

The bridge had been described by a TfW spokesperson as being “out of position sitting precariously on a displaced padstone” before it was hit the by the skip lorry.


Never miss an update

Join 1,500+ residents who get the borough’s top stories, local events, and updates sent to their inbox every weekday evening for free.


Prior to the incident, TfW told the Llanbradach councillors, as well as Caerphilly’s Senedd Member Hefin David, that it had no plans to permanently shut the footbridge and was looking at ways to repair or replace it.

Dr David said: “Now that work to safely remove the bridge has been completed, I will continue to work closely with TfW for a long-term replacement bridge as soon as possible.”

Cllr Mann said: “We welcome the assurance from TfW about its commitment to replacing the footbridge.

“However, the accident last week, and removal of the bridge as a result, has highlighted the need for this footbridge to be replaced as a matter of urgency. Residents are very concerned and indeed angry about the whole situation and the way it was caused.

“I am writing to TfW requesting a firm date for the replacement.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

TfW

Latest News

  • Drainage concerns over boundary embankment at 164-home siteFriday, August 21, 2026
  • An artist's impression of the Silver Street housing redevelopment
    Plans for 16 ‘much-needed’ affordable homes take step forwardFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Coronavirus vaccine
    Young people urged to get Meningitis B jab ahead of university startFriday, August 21, 2026
  • hospital stock image
    Record demand hits Welsh A&Es as summer heatwave drives emergency visitsThursday, August 20, 2026
  • Enterprise minister Adam Price, right, during a visit to Newtown-based REECO Automation Ltd
    Businesses can apply for tech grants of up to £250,000Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • The A469 between Pontlottyn and Tirphil
    Frustrations over government support for £20m A469 road repairsThursday, August 20, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Rosita’sFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesFriday, August 21, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: PIN SIM GOLFSaturday, August 8, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, August 6, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.