Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Second coronavirus grant for self-employed opens

Business, News | Rhys Williams | Published: 15:47, Tuesday August 18th, 2020.
Last updated: 15:56, Tuesday August 18th, 2020

Self-employed people who have been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic could be able to claim a payment of up to £6,570.

The second phase of the UK Government’s Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) opened for applications on Monday (August 17).

According to the government, more than 2.7 million people across the UK benefited from the first phase of the scheme, which distributed £7.8bn earlier on in the coronavirus pandemic.

In Wales, there were 108,000 claims made, worth a combined £289m.

Calls for furlough extension to be considered

Those eligible for the second grant will be able to receive 70% of their average monthly trading profits – up to £6,570 – within six working days of making the claim.

Anyone who is self-employed and has seen their business hit by the pandemic since July 14, is eligible for the grant.

Anyone who may be eligible will be contacted by HMRC.

A statement released by the government said: “The eligibility criteria remains the same as for the first grant, with people needing to have had trading profits of no more than £50,000, making up at least half of their total income.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Secretary of state for Wales, Simon Hart MP, said: “The coronavirus pandemic remains an unprecedented challenge but the UK Government has provided the support to ensure Wales’s economy is ready to bounce back.

“We said it would do whatever it took to support the people and businesses of Wales and we have produced an unprecedented package of measures to deliver on that promise.

“Our support schemes have supported the livelihoods of thousands across Wales and will help ensure our recovery is as swift as possible.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News

  • Boy, 10, recovering in hospital after zip wire fall during school tripTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Nature fair brings community together at Morgan Jones ParkTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Senedd stock image
    Members appointed to the first Senedd committeeTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • CAERPHILLY: New ‘high-quality’ flats proposed above village shop
    New ‘high-quality’ flats proposed above village shopTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Author Claire Barley, centre, with children Georgia and William
    From bedtime stories to bookshelves: Childhood memories inspire first published bookTuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    No serious injuries after three-car crashTuesday, May 19, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.