Caerphilly town centre’s annual fireworks display, Christmas lights switch-on and lantern parade will not go ahead this year due to uncertainty around the coronavirus pandemic.
It means the events will have been cancelled for two consecutive years, with the pandemic preventing them from going ahead last year.
The decision was made by councillors on Caerphilly Town Council at a meeting held on Monday, July 19.
What is the difference between Caerphilly Town Council and Caerphilly County Borough Council?
Caerphilly Town Council covers the Morgan Jones ward and the St Martin’s ward.
It is separate to Caerphilly County Borough Council, which covers the entire borough.
Caerphilly Town Council, like other town and community councils in the borough, is made up of elected town councillors, who are given a budget each year to spend on projects within their area, including Christmas lights.
Caerphilly Town Council is made up of ten Plaid Cymru councillors and two Labour councillors.
In a report which was discussed by town councillors, town council clerk Phil Davy said: “The easing of restrictions at this point would suggest that the events in November could in principle go ahead, but the legal requirements, the practical issues, uncertainty of the coronavirus risk in November, risk to public money, risk to public health and the inability to satisfactorily mitigate the risks would all lead to the view that the most prudent decision is not to proceed with the events in 2021.”
Town councillor Colin Elsbury, who is also a county borough councillor for the St Martin’s ward, said it would be irresponsible for the town council to press ahead with the plans due to rising coronavirus rates across Wales.
The money the town council would have spent on the events will now be spent on other community projects, with suggestions from councillors and residents welcomed.
Suggestions can be submitted to the town council’s Deputy Mayor Huw Jackson on Huwjackson.firstname.lastname@example.org or town council clerk Phil Davy on email@example.com
- 16-year-old suffers head injury after reported assault
- Boxer Lauren Price reaches Olympic quarter-finals
- Olympians are ‘an inspiration,’ says council leader
- Plaid Cymru vow to reject Gwent Public Services Board merger
- Vulnerable people will not be asked to shield – Wales’ Chief Medical Officer says
Stay informed with quality, independent, local journalism…that matters
We believe the public should be informed about their community, coherently and with context. However, running a professional news service comes at a financial cost.
We are asking readers for their support to help us develop and grow our service.
Our membership costs from just £3 a month and in return, you can use our website without adverts.
Become a member – cancel anytime