Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Should owners of empty houses pay more council tax?

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 16:08, Tuesday January 4th, 2022.
Last updated: 16:08, Tuesday January 4th, 2022
Stock image

Owners of homes left empty for more than a year should pay 50% more council tax, the leader of the council’s main opposition group has said.

It comes after Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet last month approved plans to set up a new group to tackle the issue of empty homes across the borough.

The group will have the power to take enforcement action in scenarios where an empty home is causing ‘significant concern’.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) Request, submitted to the council by the Plaid Cymru group, revealed 1,380 homes had been left empty across the borough for more than six months.

The request also revealed 272 homes had been empty for more than five years, with 102 having been left empty for more than ten years.

Calling for the 50% surcharge, Cllr Colin Mann, leader of the council’s Plaid Cymru group, said the council has been “slow” to address the issue “at a time when there are thousands on waiting lists in the borough”.

Plaid Cymru group leader, Cllr Colin Mann
Plaid Cymru group leader, Cllr Colin Mann

In total, there are 10,644 council-owned homes and flats in the borough, with 4,875 people on the waiting list as of November.

He continued: “In Cardiff – a much larger authority – there were 1,355 long-term vacant homes – less than in Caerphilly borough.

“While the establishment of a team to deal with the problem is welcome, it is also long overdue. I want to see Labour leaders getting a lot tougher with those who just leave their homes empty, often to rot, often causing huge problems for neighbouring properties.”

Cllr Mann said the council should follow the example of neighbouring Cardiff Council, which is charging owners of unfurnished properties left empty for more than a year a premium rate of council tax at 150% of the assessed band.

He said such a move would “greatly ease the pressure for so many new build properties” and suggested money could be used to retrofit these houses to make them more energy efficient.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


South Wales East Senedd Member Peredur Owen Griffiths, also Plaid Cymru, said it was “disappointing that so few dormant homes have been brought back into use by the Labour-controlled local authority”.

He continued: “In the last 12 months, just five homes were brought back into use following the intervention of the authority.

“More than 100 homes have been empty for a decade or longer in the county borough. Many of these homes will have deteriorated significantly while the council adopted a light-touch approach.”

Mr Griffiths welcomed the council’s plans to address the matter but said it “should have happened a long time ago”.

Cllr Shayne Cook, who has been the council’s Cabinet Member with responsibility for housing since November 2021, said: “As well as being an unsightly blot on our communities, long-term empty properties can also become a magnet for antisocial behaviour.

“In addition to improving local communities, the team will also link in with the council’s Housing Solutions team to potentially use some of these formerly empty homes to help meet housing need in the County Borough and prevent homelessness.”

In October last year, Plaid Cymru councillor John Roberts urged the council to double council tax on second homes – something which has already been done by councils in Swansea, Gwynedd and Pembrokeshire.

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.