Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Maximum rate of council tax for second homes to increase by 300%

News | Rhys Williams | Published: 17:01, Thursday March 3rd, 2022.
Last updated: 19:04, Wednesday October 18th, 2023

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Stock image

The maximum amount of council tax that can be charged on second homes is set to quadruple from next year, the Welsh Government has announced.

The Welsh Government says the 300% rise in the maximum rate is being introduced to ensure people can find affordable homes in the area they have grown up in.

The policy, which comes into force from April 2023, was included in the Co-operation Agreement between the Welsh Government and Plaid Cymru.

Council tax rates are set by local authorities, but this new policy will give councils greater scope to increase council tax on second homes. Currently, second home council tax premiums are capped at 100%.

In Caerphilly County Borough, there are 234 second homes.

The policy also allows targets empty homes, with councils given the power to apply different premiums to second homes as well as long-term empty homes.

Earlier this year, Caerphilly County Borough Council pledged to tackle the “complex” issue of second homes and empty homes.

The Welsh Government’s Finance and Local Government Minister, Rebecca Evans MS, said the changes will give councils “more flexibility” and provide “more support to local communities in addressing the negative impacts that second homes and long-term empty properties can have”.

Ms Evans said the Welsh Government is seeking to “create a fairer system”.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


The policy was also welcomed by Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Sian Gwenllian, who oversees the Co-operation Agreement. She said: “It is clear that we as a country are facing a housing crisis. So many people cannot afford to live in their local areas, and the situation has worsened during the pandemic.

“These changes will make a difference, enabling councils to respond to their local circumstances, and start to close the loophole in the current law. It’s a first, but important, step on a journey towards a new housing system that ensures that people have the right to live in their community.”

She said the announcement is “just one part” of a “wider package” to tackle “injustices in the housing market”.

But the Conservatives’ Shadow Minister for Housing, Janet Finch-Saunders MS, criticised the policy and blamed Welsh Labour for the housing crisis.

She said: “This Labour Government is failing to tackle the root issues of the housing crisis; failing to address the fact that, until recently, there have been more empty homes in Wales than there are second homes.

“Labour ministers in Cardiff Bay need to get a grip, address the housing shortage in Wales and provide an environment where hard work can be rewarded.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.