Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Call for council leader to resign over ombudsman referral

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 11:28, Friday October 25th, 2024.
Last updated: 11:28, Friday October 25th, 2024

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Council leader Sean Morgan, left, and independent group leader Nigel Dix
Council leader Sean Morgan, left, and independent group leader Nigel Dix

The leader of Caerphilly County Borough Council should “do the right thing and resign” after referring himself to Wales’ public services watchdog, an opposition councillor has claimed.

The council confirmed earlier this week that its leader, Cllr Sean Morgan, had “in the interests of transparency” referred himself to the ombudsman’s office.

The matter involves “recent correspondence” between Cllr Morgan and “a resident” – with BBC Wales News reporting it relates to details of the settlement paid to former chief executive Christina Harrhy, who left the council earlier this month.

Councillors had allegedly been warned to not share details of that deal during a behind closed doors meeting on October 7.

If they did, they were told they would risk breaching the local government code of conduct and a referral to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, according to reports from that meeting.

Council former chief executive Christina Harrhy

Following the confirmation the leader had referred himself to the ombudsman, Cllr Nigel Dix, who leads the independent group in the council chamber, said: “I find it incredible that a man in his position with so much responsibility would do this.”

“He clearly has scant regard for the rules set by himself and his council,” added Cllr Dix. “I think he needs to seriously consider his position, then do the right thing and resign.”

Cllr Lindsay Whittle, who leads the Plaid opposition group in Caerphilly Council, called the events “embarrassing” for the local authority and the Labour Party.

“Nothing surprises me anymore about the shambolic way the council is run by Labour,” he said. “All councillors were specifically told not to release details of the settlement with the former chief executive, so it frankly beggars belief that the person who appears to confirm the settlement details is no other than the council leader.”

Cllr Whittle added: “In his position, Sean Morgan of all people should have known better and been far more careful.

Cllr Lindsay Whittle, Plaid Cymru councillor for the Penyrheol ward
Cllr Lindsay Whittle, Plaid Cymru group leader

“I wonder what mishap will next befall the leader and his cabinet.”

A Caerphilly Council spokesperson declined to comment further on the councillors’ remarks, but said earlier this week: “A matter has been brought to our attention involving the leader of the council. The concern relates to recent correspondence between Cllr Sean Morgan and a resident.

“Cllr Morgan, in the interests of transparency, has decided to refer himself to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

“We are unable to add anything further at this stage.”

The council reportedly agreed a £209,000 settlement deal at the October 7 meeting for the departing Ms Harrhy, following a period of absence from the local authority.

Wales’ auditor general has since confirmed he is scrutinising the details of the deal.

Following Ms Harrhy’s departure, deputy chief executive Dave Street has taken the top job on an interim basis while the council “considers the next steps in terms of appointing a permanent chief executive”.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

CCBC
CCBC
CCBC

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.