Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Critics of single-sex school merger raise pupil wellbeing and staff job fears

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 14:31, Thursday November 21st, 2024.
Last updated: 14:31, Thursday November 21st, 2024

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Lewis School Pengam

A final decision on the future of two single-sex schools in Caerphilly is likely to be made in mid-December.

Caerphilly County Borough Council has proposed closing Lewis Girls’ School and gradually making Lewis School Pengam – which is currently boys-only – co-educational by 2027.

If cabinet members agree to pursue the project, single-sex state education in Caerphilly – and in Wales – will begin to come to an end in September 2025.

An objection report, which must be compiled and published as part of the council’s obligations, reveals the local authority received 17 letters opposing the plans.

The sources of these statutory objections are not specified, but the council consulted with various groups, including pupils and parents, staff and governors, local and national politicians, and other professional bodies.

Among the responses, pupil wellbeing emerged as an area of concern for critics of the plans.

In response, the council said it “acknowledges the concerns raised” and pledged that “mitigations will be put in place should the proposal progress to support a smooth transition”.

Transition arrangements will focus on “keeping all informed about the process and addressing any emerging issues, with a view to minimising any anxieties and disruption”.

The impact on staff was another area of concern, including job security and “levels of communication to date”, especially at Lewis Girls’ School.

Lewis Girls School, in Ystrad Mynach
Lewis Girls School, in Ystrad Mynach

The council said it “recognises that a proposal of this nature will naturally raise a number of questions as to the future staffing structure and vacancy management”.

But it did not offer any guarantees of job safety – and officers have warned previously they are unable to comment on school staff changes during consultation processes, before any final decisions have been made.

Some other objections focused on a loss of parental choice relating to single-sex provision.

The council said it “fully acknowledges that there are benefits and disadvantages” to the proposals, and to keeping things the same, and said both schools’ headteachers would “work collaboratively to address any concerns”.

Objectors also raised matters of educational standards, and the impacts on the “bespoke curriculum delivery” at each school.

The council, in response, said Wales’ school inspection agency, Estyn, “supported the view that ‘the proposals are likely to maintain the standard of education provision in the area’”.

This is because each school has surplus places, and their merging could help the council “target resources more effectively”, the local authority claimed.

The council’s education committee is expected to meet on November 26 to discuss the statutory objections to the proposals, before making a recommendation to cabinet members to proceed.

A final decision is currently expected to be made at a cabinet meeting on December 11.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
Google

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.