Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Museum ‘optimistic’ after budget announcement

News | Chris Haines - ICNN Senedd Reporter | Published: 15:52, Wednesday December 11th, 2024.
Last updated: 15:52, Wednesday December 11th, 2024

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

National Museum, Cardiff
National Museum, Cardiff

National museum chiefs expressed optimism despite one of the most difficult years in its history and “major flooding” of the gallery in Cardiff during recent storms.

Jane Richardson, chief executive, told the Senedd’s culture committee that Museum Wales was excited for the future after the Welsh Government’s draft budget announcement.

She said: “We’re in a very, very different place today than we were a year ago…. we’ve been through an extraordinarily difficult year, one of the most challenging in the museum’s history.”

She stated the museum received a 3.5% or £900,000 uplift in day-to-day revenue spending, adding that employer national insurance hikes will cost about £500,000 over the year.

“We really needed about £2m as a standstill position so it is a bit of a shortfall,” she warned as she appeared before the committee for annual scrutiny on December 11.

Extra £1.5bn for public services as Welsh Government unveils spending plans

‘Major flooding’

Ms Richardson said the museum fared better on capital allocations for long-term investment, with an indication of £8m for museums in Cardiff, Swansea and Llanberis.

She told the committee: “It’s fantastic news, that money will make a really big difference. The concern we will have is how quickly we will be able to draw down that money.”

Ms Richardson, who was appointed in November 2023 shortly before a 10% cut to the museum’s budget, called for more flexibility on the museum’s project-based funding.

Jane Richardson, chief executive of Museum Wales
Jane Richardson, chief executive of Museum Wales

She pointed to the example of £1.3m announced by the Welsh Government in May for urgent repairs at National Museum Cardiff, with a grant letter arriving on December 10.

She said: “About ten days ago we had major flooding in the ground floor and into the natural science galleries. Those were spaces we didn’t know were a risk until the day of that flood.

‘Horrow show’

“We desperately needed to undertake surveys to understand where the water’s coming in. So, the business case bounces back and forth over a period of time.”

Last year, Ms Richardson revealed staff were on standby overnight to move priceless art due to the risk of damage and four buckets were placed outside her office door to catch rain.

Priceless works of art at risk due to museum’s leaky roof, chief exec says

Labour’s Alun Davies, a former minister, raised concerns about the “horror show” public bodies continue to face in dealing with the Welsh Government.

He said: “It seems to me that this is almost some sort of bureaucratic nightmare.”

Ms Richardson said business cases of £2m or more can take a year to 18 months as she called for project funding to be incorporated within the museum’s core grant.

‘Dark times’

Plaid Cymru’s Heledd Fychan, who worked at the museum until her election in 2021, pressed the executive about redundancies over the past year.

Plaid Cymru MS Heledd Fychan
Plaid Cymru MS Heledd Fychan

Ms Richardson said the museum lost one in six staff, with 144 roles made redundant.

Asked about morale, she replied: “It has been a difficult year and there have been some dark times for our colleagues but, on the whole now, I would say morale is improving significantly.

“And there is a real sense of excitement looking forward … there’s a strong team ethos that we’ve come through together.”

Ms Richardson told the committee the museum has listened to, and sought to address, concerns about fewer people being left with the same amount of work.

Entry charges

The chief executive, who has dealt with four ministers in one year, confirmed site closures, further redundancies and entry charges are no longer on the table following the budget.

But she suggested charges will be introduced for underground tours at Big Pit after a trial. “That goes beyond the traditional free entry model for a museum,” she said.

Mr Davies raised concerns about fees creating a barrier to access, saying it amounts to an entry charge because most people go to Big Pit to go underground.

Ms Richardson replied: “It’s very difficult to be an organisation that has its budget cut so radically and is told it cannot generate income from the very few opportunities it has.”

She added: “I don’t have any concerns about whether this will be the right thing to do and I will be recommending it to the board on behalf of the team at Big Pit who feel the same.”


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
Senedd
Senedd

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.