Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

Row over ‘short-sighted’ treatment of staff at mothballed Llancaiach Fawr

News | Nicholas Thomas - Local Democracy Reporting Service | Published: 11:16, Tuesday February 4th, 2025.
Last updated: 11:16, Tuesday February 4th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

Llancaiach Fawr will be mothballed
Llancaiach Fawr will be mothballed

Critics from Plaid Cymru have condemned Caerphilly Council’s “shocking” and “short-sighted” treatment of workers at the mothballed living museum Llancaiach Fawr.

The county borough’s Plaid group said the “overwhelming majority” of staff at the heritage site, in Nelson, are “set for redundancy”.

Plaid obtained figures via a Freedom of Information Act request, which showed 28 full-time or part-time staff had been made redundant, and two had been offered redeployment.

Cllr Lindsay Whittle, who leads the Plaid opposition group in the council chamber, said it was “shocking that so much expertise is being lost as a result of a flawed decision by the Labour cabinet, made against the overwhelming view of the public and many councillors”.

The council’s leader, Cllr Sean Morgan, defended the plan to end Llancaiach Fawr’s reliance on council subsidies, and challenged Plaid to explain how the cash-strapped local authority “can afford no change”.

Council leader Sean Morgan, left, and Plaid Cymru group leader Lindsay Whittle
Council leader Sean Morgan, left, and Plaid Cymru group leader Lindsay Whittle

Caerphilly County Borough Council’s cabinet agreed last year to mothball Llancaiach Fawr as part of cost-cutting measures.

The council was providing a £485,000 annual subsidy to the site.

Plaid said its Freedom of Information Act request also found Llancaiach Fawr staff are “serving their notice period”, and the council expects to spend £52,000 on the site’s maintenance and security over the coming financial year.

The group said Cllr Whittle had learned that 15 members of staff still working at the Tudor manor house would have their employment ended by the end of next month if there was no suitable alternative employment for them.

Cllr Whittle said he felt “so sorry for the committed staff”, and criticising the mothballing process, added: “The council carries out a consultation exercise but when they don’t like the answer, they just press ahead anyway. They are giving democracy a bad name and I fear actions like this may end up driving people to the extremes of politics.”

Senedd Member Delyth Jewell, who represents Plaid for the South Wales East region, said: “This is no way to treat the hard-working staff who’ve brought so much delight and wonder to visitors.

Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Delyth Jewell, who represents South Wales East
Plaid Cymru Senedd Member Delyth Jewell, who represents South Wales East

“So many of us visited Llancaiach Fawr as schoolchildren and were taken ‘back in time’ by the actors – and now all those years of their experience are being discarded. What a short-sighted, callous decision.”

However, Cllr Morgan said ending reliance on subsidies and moving to an alternative business model could work, and had proved successful elsewhere in the county borough.

“We are constantly told by Plaid Cymru that things must not change, but they never tell us how we can afford no change,” he said. “Cllr Whittle and Ms Jewell were vehemently opposed to the closing of the council-run Coffi Vista last year, which was subsidised by the taxpayer to the tune of £86,000 per annum and is now set to reopen with longer opening hours, a more complete offer, more staff and while bringing in £26,000 of rental income.”

Italian fusion café set to open in former Coffi Vista building

He called that outcome a “net positive of £112,000 for the residents of the borough and, just as importantly, it brings a new vibrancy to the town”.

“So while Plaid representatives call the decision to stop spending half a million pounds a year running Llanciach Fawr Manor ‘flawed’, and when it reopens in the near future with a better offer and having no cost to our residents, what will they say then?

“The question I would like to ask both Plaid Cymru representatives who oppose improved facilities and cost reductions for the people of the borough is: ‘How would you do it?’”

Avison Young has recently begun marketing Llancaiach Fawr to potential suitors. 

The council told Plaid “a number of third-party operators have shown an interest” in the site.


Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Google
CCBC
Plaid Cymru

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.