Caerphilly Observer
Member Sign in Manage Membership
Become a Member - no ads
Menu
  • News
    • Senedd
    • Business
    • Newport
    • Opinion
  • Sport
    • Rugby union
    • Football
  • Membership & Subscriptions
  • Notices
  • Obituaries
  • About
    • Advertise
  • Sponsored Content
Menu

First Minister under fire over ‘betrayal’ of steel workers

News | Chris Haines - ICNN Senedd Reporter | Published: 16:54, Tuesday April 29th, 2025.
Last updated: 16:54, Tuesday April 29th, 2025

Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts. Become a member today

First Minister Eluned Morgan at the temporary Senedd debating chamber in Ty Hywel, Cardiff Bay


Wales’ First Minister came under fire over the Labour UK Government’s decision to step in to save Scunthorpe steelworks after failing to do the same in Port Talbot.

Eluned Morgan stressed the two steelworks were in different situations after UK ministers took control of the Chinese-owned British Steel site in Scunthorpe this month.

Giving a statement on April 29, she told the Senedd: “The situation … was very different not only in terms of the global context but also … the relationship and intention of Tata Steel.”

Baroness Morgan rejected “never credible” suggestions the Labour UK Government should have persuaded Tata to reopen a deal initially negotiated by Conservative ministers.

On calls to take control of the Port Talbot plant, the First Minister said: “That would have been unrealistic and unworkable because of the opposition from Tata.”

Welsh secretary pressed on ‘unfunded’ £80m steel claim

‘Legal conflict’

Baroness Morgan added: “It would have led to prolonged legal conflict with the company, to the possible accelerated shut down of the remaining blast furnace and Tata could have withdrawn its contribution of £700m to the construction of the electric arc furnace.”

The Labour politician said construction of the electric arc furnace would begin this summer, with green steel set to provide a more sustainable and brighter future.

But Darren Millar, whose request for the Senedd to be recalled from Easter recess to discuss the issue was rejected, questioned the differing approaches in Wales and England.

Conservative MS Darren Millar
Conservative group leader Darren Millar

The leader of the Conservative Senedd group said: “People are upset, understandably, and furious about the fact there seems to be a completely different attitude towards Welsh steel.”

He claimed Labour MPs “promised the earth” to steelworkers before last year’s general election only to U-turn on pledges which turned out to be “complete works of fiction”.

‘Double standards’

Criticising “warm words” and the Welsh Government’s “weak” strategy, Mr Millar warned Wales could miss out on a fair share from a £2.5bn fund for the steel sector.

Baroness Morgan replied: “I can’t believe I’m getting lectures from the Tories, who had all the opportunities to step in – to do something constructive – and didn’t.”

The First Minister claimed Tory UK ministers would not pick up the phone to her predecessor, saying she has pressed Labour colleagues to ringfence part of the £2.5bn fund for Wales.

Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth criticised the First Minister for “mocking” his party’s calls for nationalisation of the Port Talbot steelworks.

Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth
Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth

“A pipedream she called it patronisingly, which has become something of a trade for this First Minister,” he said, accusing Labour of blatant double standards at Wales’ expense.

‘Betrayal’

Claiming Labour has abandoned workers, he told Senedd Members: “After this betrayal, we need cast-iron assurances that the UK Government’s investment in Scunthorpe in no way compromises the promises made to Port Talbot.”

Baroness Morgan said: “It always fascinates me that nationalists want to nationalise but they want England to pay … this week you want to nationalise steel, last week … Holyhead port.”

Labour’s Mike Hedges, a former steelworker, backed the First Minister: “This is not a battle between Port Talbot and Scunthorpe even though some people are trying to make it such.”

Welsh Lib Dem leader Jane Dodds said: “The UK’s emergency action confirmed what many of us here in Wales had feared: that our workers are second-class citizens.”

Jane Dodds MS, leader of the Welsh Liberal Democrats
Jane Dodds MS, leader of the Welsh Liberal Democrats

Baroness Morgan, who met steelworkers in Port Talbot on Friday, pledged to “move heaven and earth” to secure the future of Welsh steel through a “fair and just transition”.

Ministers reject calls to intervene over ‘foul’ stench from tip

Sign-up to our daily newsletter


Support quality, independent, local journalism…that matters

From just £1 a month you can help fund our work – and use our website without adverts.

Become a member today

Senedd
Senedd
Senedd
Senedd Cymru

Latest News

  • Senedd stock image
    The Senedd Commission: What is it and what does it do?Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Gwent Police officer
    18-year-old driver dies in Caerphilly crashFriday, May 22, 2026
  • 36 Penallta Road, Ystrad Mynach, pictured in June 2025
    Second bid lodged to convert ‘disused’ office into five-bed HMOFriday, May 22, 2026
  • Aerial view of the skatepark and the proposed development site (marked roughly in yellow) at Wern Park, Nelson
    Thumbs up for new ‘pumptrack’ at skate parkFriday, May 22, 2026
  • How the development on Rhymney's former Aldi site could look
    Developer wants more time to plan 23 homes on former Aldi siteFriday, May 22, 2026
  • A Household Recycling Centre in Caerphilly County Borough
    Fly-tipping ‘crisis’ linked to tougher rules on waste and recyclingFriday, May 22, 2026

Find out how the communities of Caerphilly County Borough get their names

Caerphilly

Legal & Public Notices

  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of application for a premises licence: Fferm GelliThursday, May 14, 2026
  • Notice of claim to land, TrethomasThursday, April 16, 2026
  • Caerphilly County Borough Council public noticesThursday, April 16, 2026
© 2009-2026 Caerphilly Media Ltd, Caerphilly Miners Centre for the Community Watford Road Caerphilly, CF83 1BJ. Incorporated in Wales No. 07604006.